Sound card or motherboard audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

14 of a hotdog

i want to know which would be the better choice for me to use my motherboard is a gigabyte ga-m57sli-s4 with the realtek alc883 audio chip set. here is more info on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128014

my sound card is a creative sound blaster audigy se and i have had some trouble with using headphones on it but it does sound pretty good. here is more information http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102002

so which should i use? and remember i have had some trouble with the sound card.

if you need to know about my speakers they are i think about 12 years old the satellite speakers are Altec Lansing acs400 and the sub woofer is Altec Lansing acs250 120v/60hz/60w
here is more info http://www.hardwarezone.com/reviews/others/acs400/acs400.htm

both your sound cards are 8 ch. but
i prefer your creative PCI sound card.

i suggest you get a better set of speakers with
headphone output in it.

i like your subwoofer though.. (1 x 6" Dual Voice Coil, High Compliance, Long Throw Woofer).

ok umm i will look for compatible satellite speakers but is there a way i can use both or is there some other way of getting all of the jacks on the motherboard and case to work?

but yeah the sub woofer shakes the walls a little bit and most of the stuff in the room shakes and rattles if its turned all the way up!!!! so i think that's pretty good for speakers my dad got in 1996.

well,you can still use your old altec if you prefer a hard hitting bass.
set your sound manager to 7.1 or 8 ch.

just leave your altec plugged in the sub audio port.
that will give you the bass & the center channel.your
existing satelllite speakers will serve as the center channel.

& if you already picked a satellite speaker of your choice,
then plugged it to another audio output,say front L & R or rear L & R.
remember that the additional speakers should also have
a built-in amplifier.

If you want to use your front panel jacks for headphones, you will need a card with header pins to plug them into. The Audigy doesn't have them.

However, there are two cards that I know of that do. One is the X-Fi XtremeGamer (PCI) and the other is a PCI-E x1 card made by Asus, the Xonar DX 7.1.

Your motherboard has header pins for a front panel connection but you will have to consult the manual to see if you can use the front panel at the same time as the speakers. On my Gigabyte motherboard you can although I use an XtremeGamer.

ok i will look around and see all the prices for speakers and sound cards that can do that because i don't think i can hook headphones up to my sound card at all the way i have it.

but i think i might have a kinda crazy idea its crazy because i dont know how i could fit it in here but i have a 160w stereo and some cords that would allow me to plug it into my computer but i really doubt i can fit it around my computer but it does have a headphone jack but its huge and i wouldn't have such nice sound on my tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back