TechSpot

Sound Card recommendations?

By TimeParadoX
Jun 25, 2008
  1. I'm looking for a sound card to replace my integrated Audio. I've heard a lot about X-FI being good but I was reading mixed reviews on it. I'm trying to find a 24-bit one that is mostly for gaming instead of music. Also, what's the difference between a PCI-E and a PCI sound card? I couldn't see anything different in the specs.

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,482   +233

I have a PCI X-Fi XtremeGamer which has performed fine but I was interested in trying the Asus PCI-E x1 soundcard. It has generally decent reviews. I won't be buying it until I actually need another sound card though. I don't know the technical differences of the cards, however. One thing the Asus card does let you use is one of the PCI-E slots that usually just sits there unused.

Both cards have headers that allow you to plug in the front panel sound jacks.

3. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,168   +37

Here is a link from PC Perspective that concerns the Asus Xonar sound card. These look very nice and if I was going to build a new system I think I'd choose this offering.

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=5379

4. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 2,438

Thanks Mailpup and Route44, I might get what Malipup said since that's what I had in mind in the first place.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.