TechSpot

Sound Card recommendations?

By TimeParadoX
Jun 25, 2008
  1. I'm looking for a sound card to replace my integrated Audio. I've heard a lot about X-FI being good but I was reading mixed reviews on it. I'm trying to find a 24-bit one that is mostly for gaming instead of music. Also, what's the difference between a PCI-E and a PCI sound card? I couldn't see anything different in the specs.

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,925   +347

I have a PCI X-Fi XtremeGamer which has performed fine but I was interested in trying the Asus PCI-E x1 soundcard. It has generally decent reviews. I won't be buying it until I actually need another sound card though. I don't know the technical differences of the cards, however. One thing the Asus card does let you use is one of the PCI-E slots that usually just sits there unused.

Both cards have headers that allow you to plug in the front panel sound jacks.

3. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +69

Here is a link from PC Perspective that concerns the Asus Xonar sound card. These look very nice and if I was going to build a new system I think I'd choose this offering.

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=5379

4. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 2,273

Thanks Mailpup and Route44, I might get what Malipup said since that's what I had in mind in the first place.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.