Sound crackling and slowed with Realtek AC97/Windows 7

I would really appreciate some help not being super techy at all.

The problem first showed itself whilst playing just one game, when the game was graphics heavy the sound would begin to crackle, then slow down incredibly, eventually disappear completely and then crash the game and computer.

I checked all the specs for the game which were all good, updated graphics card driver, no driver update available for sound card.

The problem is now evident across the system, where graphics and sound are intensive. Eg: Playing music and browsing the web. Everytime I scroll the web page, the sound goes slow and crackly. Then I have a bsod.

I have now disabled my soundcard and have not yet crashed.

Elsewhere (Wikipedia) I have read there are compatibility issues with windows 7 and Nforce4 chipset.

Any help, guidance to resolve the issue, or indeed throw my computer in the nearest bin, much appreciated. :)

CPU: Amd Athlon 64 2800
Motherboard: ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe
Chipset: Nvidea Nforce4
Graphics card: Nvidea Geforce 8800 GTX
Soundcard : Realtek AC97
Operating System: Windows 7

More Info

After the crashes, I requested a solution, i found this in messages today.

Address a problem with Game Port
This problem was caused by a compatibility issue between your computer's Game Port and your 64-bit version of Windows. The Game Port is only compatible with 32-bit versions of Windows.

This problem is not critical, but you can prevent it from occurring again by disabling the Game Port in your computer's BIOS. Refer to the instructions that came with your computer that explain how to access the BIOS and turn off Game Port support.
So.... ?

Yeah.

Can anyone translate that into english? If the game port is on the soundcard, will it stop the soundcard from working?

Well, feeling like a milkmaid attempting brain surgery, I went into BIOS and disabled the game port, and I will tentatively say it has solved the problem.

Can't test it on the original game as the other problem my PC has, disc tray not opening/closing/reading discs is preventing me from playing the game.

Anyway, the opportunity to talk really helped. :D

DVD tray now fixed, and tried the game I originally had the problem with, and yes, disabling the game port seems to have done the trick.

You seems to have problem with your driver. I will suggest you to visit Realtek website for this and search there if you can any suggestion.

Back