Sound handling question

Zen

I have a sound handling question, in regards to how Ubuntu 10.10 handles it's sound devices.

Little info about my system...

Dell Dimension 5100c
Ubuntu 10.10 O.S.
Sound Adapter is a SIGMATEL STAC 92XX HD Sound Adapter on the motherboard.
Acoustic Authority 5.1 200Watt Surround Sound System
3 analog jack connections, connecting sound card to 5.1 system, green, orange, black!

The problem I seem to be having is that there seems to be a little to much "treble" coming out of my speakers, namely my main front right and left. I'm getting this constant higher than normal pitch coming out of the system, mainly when watching You-Tube videos and listening to streaming music on-line. Almost all of the time there appears to be a "tin" sound coming out of the rear speakers and sometimes the fronts. I need to know of a way to access some sort of audio control center with Ubuntu, that will let me apply some bass to the system, and maybe lower the higher treble sounds. I've tried to use the default sound controller (system) - (preferences) - (sound), no dice as far as being able to control things in there, no special effects, no equalizer, no sound normalizers, no independent speaker controls, no sound crystalizers, nothing, the default sound controls or center is a joke!

Can anyone recommend any addition sound programs I may need to integrate with the system and being able to have greater access to sound controls? I get this level of functionality through VLC Media Player, but that is it, no same level of functionality by default with just doing other everyday things, like watching You-Tube, no control there.

I just want greater sound control and the default stuff is not to my liking!

Actually Captain I just signed up on the Ubuntu forums today! I think that place may help me better than this, especially when it comes to Linux questions. I was actually surprised to see the bulk of wealth when it came to information about Ubuntu there! I can tell they take their Ubuntu very seriously. So I have yet to poise them with the same problem as I've posted here, about "sound handling", I might actually get something constructive there.

Thank you Captain for recommending me a course of action, kind of coincidental that you did so on the day I signed up there!

Back