Sound Max Mixer Recording Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Compaq nc6000 Laptop. It has SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio.

My requirement is to record any sound that comes out of my computer.
That would include any songs that I am playing and also whatever I am speaking through my microphone.

For this purpose I chose "Wave Out Mix" as the recording Source.
I can record whatever sound my laptop produces, except for the microphone.

But I could record my microphone input , If I choose 'Microphone' in the Recording Panel. But that records just the microphone other sounds produced in my laptop, like songs are not getting recorded.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Vasanth

Welcome to TechSpot

It sounds like you should get a piece of DJ-software, which has a proper mixer in it.
Not sure if you can use Window's own Volume Control to properly mix two inputs.

Before getting the DJ Software ......

Before getting the DJ Software , I just want to clarify .....

Why dont I hear what I speak in the Microphone in my Speakers.
However I can confirm that my Microphone is working as I can record through my microphone, and then play it back.

Only thing is that my Microphone output doesnt come out in the speaker.

Please help me....

Did you check the Windoze Volume Control, that none of the inputs you want are "muted"?
Also, the output-signal might not be open far enough (i.e. volume loud enough) for you to hear yourself.

Checked the Volume Control

I checked the Volume Control. There is no control for Mic Volume.
Please check the Attached Screen Shot.

I am pretty sure, that mic output is not being delivered in the speakers.

Attachments

• Microphone.JPG
    Microphone.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 9
I'm not familiar with that sound device but I have seen sound cards that have a mic level in the record mixer but not in the playback mixer. The theory being that "most users" would not need to monitor their mic (ergo feedback issues). This may be the case with your sound device. Like I said I'm not familiar it it. A quick fix, and usually a fidelity improvement is to get some sort of mic preamp and start using the line input instead. Often PCs sound cards have an automatic gain control (agc) circuit on the mic input that cannot be shut off and can be really noisy in low volume settings.

Me and my collegues also have the same trouble. Yesterday, I did a lot of trials with updating drivers for the SoundMax device, even uninstalling the device aso.
This morning, I "updated" the driver to a previous version, and now I have the microphone control!
Unfortunately, when I tried it on my collegue's PC, it didn't work :(
I am still trying to find out how to do it, but at least I know it's possible now!
I'll keep the ongoings posted...

The Best Alias said:
... A quick fix, and usually a fidelity improvement is to get some sort of mic preamp and start using the line input instead.
Btw: I'm using a portable PC, and it doesn't have a line input...

Thanks for the reply

Hi its really exciting to know that it worked for you.

Can you please post the previous drivers for the SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio . I dont know how to get them. Or if you can guide me to any website where I can download them that would be great too.

If you cant post them, you can send me the drivers to vasanth.rajkumar@gmail.com .

Your reply is highly appreciated.

The previous solution didn't work as wished, but here is the final one:
I found the solution:
Go to the windows registry and change the following keys:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Disable]
"MicS"=hex:00
"MicM"=hex:00
"MicV"=hex:00

you can also set:
"20db"=hex:00

to enable 20 dB boost...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back