Sound problem after Windows 7 installation

Giwrgos

Hey everyone, i have a problem with my sound card (probably). Ok here is the story .
I had windows xp he 2003 but my computer was full of some bugs and slower than ever so i decided to fromat my HDD.However my pc wouldn't boot the windows cd.So after making some "modifications" at the boot,ini file my pc wouldn't longer get into the windows. So i took a hitachi HDD from an acer aspire laptop that was broken(the laptop) and tryed to format this one.(The hitachi HDD had windows vista when on laptop) . So i now installed windows 7 ultimate and averything is just fine but one thing.I don't have sound, i tryied to download and install some drivers from realtek site but nothing happened.Pls give me any suggestions of what to do. oh and i forgot mention that i already tryied installing its own drivers.. but nothing.

See if this might help [post=926040]Reference Guide to Help Setup and Troubleshoot Windows Audio and Sound Cards[/post]. Then let us know

Generate a Problem Device Report
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

I get this one

High Definition Audio Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_434D&DEV_4980&SUBSYS_81A61043&REV_0904\4&2E622CA1&0&0001 This device cannot start.

here is my file

Attachments

• DxDiag File.txt
    30.5 KB · Views: 9
My first guess, it doesn't seem you have the right drivers loaded.

What's the make/model of your computer (other motherboard?) Have you checked the vendor site for drivers?

Also, if you look in Device Manager, i'm guessing you'll see one or more entries labeled High Definition Audio Device under category Sound . Also check if any exist under a category named Other.

then rt click each, select Update Driver to see if Windows can find the driver for you (but i'd first check the vendor's download site for drivers)

I have installed all the drivers of it own but nothing.I also did driver update but nothing and i also download tons of drivers...but nothing!i just think that windows 7 aren't compatible with the sound card

I can't really understand the way this site works... are you able to send me some links of a couple or three driver downloads tha might help?

Audio drivers problem

I read your 'dxdiag' text file, and it seems you don't have any drivers installed for your sound option. The report you posted previously shows 'ven_434D'. A quick search shows that to be 'c-media'. So you need to know exactly what sound card or option you have, if you can download 'PC Wizard' or 'Belarc advisor', and run, you will get accurate information. On the 'cmedia' site, they list many drivers, for all the Windows OS, several for Win7. PLEASE NOTE; the Company that makes your sound card and drivers is called 'c-media', BUT the website is 'www.cmedia.com.tw'
(no - in the middle). Home page is; http://www.cmedia.com.tw/EN/index.aspx is;
If you go there, click; 'Support', then 'Download center'. You will see all the drivers ready for download, but you need to know which card you have. Hope you can get it working from here.

I cannot understand witch is my sound card...I can only see High Definition Audio Device (I uploaded a notepad with all the info I got).I don't know if this helps but when I get to the audio drivers from my motherboard cd (E:\Drivers\Audio\Realtek\Setup) the install shield wizard says (the window label) High definition audio driver R1.20.Moreover when I go to the other folder E:\Drivers\Audio\CMI\Setup and I run setup it says that it is not copatible with my windows

Attachments

• Belarc Advisor - My pc.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 5
I tryied pc wizard and i got this
Device Audio
Device Audio : ASUSTeK Computer 82801FB (ICH6) High Definition Audio Controller

Have had a search, it seems the disc you are using ( with the CMI folder,) that's the 'cmedia' driver, is not for Win Vista or 7. On your txt file that you just posted, it shows the high def sound option is by 'intel', I would think you have a driver CD which is several years old, about 2006, so cannot cover Vista or 7.
I had a search and found this site, which shows Win7 drivers for your intel sound option, so you try this and see how you get on. http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=wizard_step_1 *If you don't make any progress with this, I have had good results during 2010, with Win7 drivers, by going to www.drivereasy.com. Download that program, and scan your PC, it will find the latest drivers for your PC, but it's possible there are no drivers for Win7.

It's possible there are no drivers, yet, for your sound card, or chip, when using Windows 7. But if you let the 'intel' site update your intel drivers, you will be up to date. If you still don't have any sound, you could buy a cheap sound card for a PCI slot, in your PC, and you would get Win7 drivers.
http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm?iid=dc_iduu

Giwrgos

If we could step back a minute... i'll summarize, can explain some of what we see and provide a couple suggestions

1. We all agree:
> The right sound card drivers aren't installed for your machine running Windows 7
> Your sound card would indicate it was using drivers from CMedia

2. Intel Audio Controller
> Don't confuse the audio controller with the sound card
> Hi Def Audio systems require both and they're 2 distinct devices
> The Audio Bus Controller is OFTEN, but not always, part of the Intel chipset (which is what we see for your case)
> HI Def sound card vendors SOMETIMES provide their own audio controller chip but OFTEN rely on the one that comes on the motherboard (e.g. INTEL in your case)
> One needs the right driver for their Audio Bus Controller device before the sound card will work. But, still, getting the right drivers for EACH of audio bus controller and the sound card are two different and distinct issues

3. You have an ASUS P5GD2-X. If we look at the drivers provided by ASUS
> We find they provide XP audio drivers
> ASUS does NOT provide Vista or Win 7 audio drivers for your motherboard

All of which says they're not likely to ever provide Win 7 drivers for the specific sound card on your m/b

So what's next?
A couple options
> The easiest is just getting a new sound card. Depending on how much you want to spend and the quality sound you want, you might also look at a cheap USB sound card (google usb sound card). They're cheap, easy to install and can provide good basic sound. Of course, PCI sound cards are also an option depending on your needs and $$ you want to spend

> But if we also go back to the ASUS site, you'll discover you were running Cmedia CMI9880 audio driver. If you do some searching you'll also find others who've tried hacking a solution to try and get the Cmedia CMI9880 XP driver to work under Win 7. Here's a couple of them
> http://luisprato.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!FA4FD9B4DCAB3BC!1492.entry
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/3d7d02d4-fa0e-4164-a54d-ec2ae0a06ca6

G;luck!

Omg thanks man for finding this solution (first one)I now have sound YEAH!!!Thanks every one for your help

Back