Soundcard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

baraca

Sorry to sign up just to recieve help but i'm at a loss..
Yesterday i defragmented my drive and deleted alot of old programs as my pc was running very slow. All is good now but i have no sound. At all.

In device manager Multimedia controller has a yellow exclamation mark beside it. I tried installing drivers but it told me that there was no soundcard installed?

Not sure what to do now and am hoping someone can help me. If you need anymore information just ask.

Thanks

Don't worry about asking for help - everyone does it!
You should read the blurb on posting threads and so on - helps us help you. Knowing what country you are in also helps...
If you have no sound card installed then what is the mutimedia device with the yellow mark?

I'm in ireland :) I'll give it a read now in a minute thanks.
I do have a sound card installed, My sound was working perfectly yesterday, It only stopped working after the defragmenting and the deleting of old programs.
I tried to install the drivers but that's when it told me that it couldn't detect my soundcard.

Thanks

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Try this
1. Extract the driver set into a folder where you can find it again.
2. Reboot the machine in safe mode (hit F8 when the system is booting but after the initial screen) and remove the listed audio devices.
3. Reboot into 'normal' protected mode and when prompted for the drivers, point the wizard at the folder mentioned above.
I used to live in Dublin - never had so much fun in all my days!

How do i go about extracting the driver set to another folder?

I hate Dublin with a passion :p

Removed unnecessary quote.

Back a step - you need to identify the sound card and and then locate and download the drivers from the net. They are compressed and need to be extracted before the driver install wizard can find and install them.

If you are not in Dublin - where then?

I downloaded the drivers and extracted them to the driver folder, but when i go to install them it says setup could not complete because it cant find my souncard. And to make sure my soundcard was installed properly etc..

Anyone??...

Sorry if you think I am running out of ideas.
Either you have disabled the sound card when you were clearing out files or more likely you have the wrong drivers (wrong card/wrong OS).
Have you cleared the drivers using safe mode as I suggested?

Yeah, Well there was no drivers to clear so i uninstalled the multimedia audio controller. I'm prompted for that everytime i start up now but it wont install because it says there is no soundcard available. I tried reinstalling the drivers aswell that you told me to download but they wont install either because it says i have no soundcard.

Through Help and Support:

Click Start, and then click Help and Support.

Under Pick a Task, click Undo changes to your computer with System Restore.

Follow the instructions on the wizard.

Edit: This is straight from microsoft website vvvv

Click Start.

Point to All Programs.

Point to Accessories.

Point to System Tools.

Click System Restore.

Follow the instructions on the wizard.

Creating a restore point can be useful any time you anticipate making changes to your computer that are risky or might make your computer unstable. If something goes wrong, you select the restore point you just created and Windows XP undoes any system changes made since that time.

Create a Restore Point

Open System Restore. (See step-by-step instructions above.)

Click Create a restore point, and then click Next.

In the Restore point description box, type a name to identify this restore point as seen in Figure 1 below. System Restore automatically adds the date and time that this Restore Point is created.

System restore was turned off.. It's the multimedia audio controller that has the yellow question mark beside it but hardware update wizard can't find the drivers for it? I'm lost. Would doing a repair install of windows help?

possible but I would bet money your are going to get a pop up box that says something about it already being in use.

What are your computer specs

Brand/model

Have you upgraded your sound card or anything since you got your computer

Removed unnecessary quote.

It's a dell dimension 4550 and no i haven't made any changes to the soundcard or anything. It all just stopped working after i defragmented the drive and deleted old programs. I remember it stopping working after i deleted something called SoundMax with add/remove program wizard?

I would try just the 1st one, the driver, then restart and see if it works. expand the 1st one and it will give you install instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back