Soundcard Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulski

Hi all,

I've currently got a Creative SoundBlaster Live CT4870 card with a 5 channel output, running a set of Logitech X-530's (these are of the sort where all 5 speakers plug into the sub, and a seperate colour-coded 3 way adapter goes into the soundcard).

However, I can only get sound out of 3 speakers. Further investigation leads me to believe that this may have been the budget version, which although has 5 channel output, does not cover 5.1 surround (this is due to the following info on the device drivers: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_00028&SUBSYS_80281102&REV_08\4&3B1D9AB8&0&4840 - which according to another website said this was a budget card).

Can someone confirm this before I go and buy a new card please? Also what would be a good rec for a new card if needed. I'm on a bit of a budget, but want at least 5.1 - maybe even 7.1 to avoid having to upgrade later. Have seen the Audigy SE which seems ok and good value - anyone know if this is a decent card?

Cheers all - any help appreciated!!

I think to extend it to be a 5.1 you need the "Creative Live! Drive IR"

But I haven't seen anywhere you can buy it other than ebay! Also I haven't been lookin at sound cards lately so I cant recomment any! Sorry.

CCT - thanks for the link, however, I downloaded and updated the drivers, but the only setting I found was for Quadrophonic.

I used this, and I now only have sound coming from the rear left & right speakers, whereas before it was the front left & right and the Sub - any further ideas?!?!

Did you try the Auto Update feature?

Have you looked in CP under Sound & Audio devices, then Audio and Sound Playback, Advanced for speaker selection?

Did you try the Auto Update feature?

Have you looked in CP under Sound & Audio devices, then Audio and Sound Playback, Advanced for speaker selection?

I have. Changed the setup to both Quadruple and 5.1 and still get the same issue. Also tried disconnencting & reconnecting the jacks, and still no joy....still only getting Sub and rear left / right speakers

Thanks Gflo.

Downloaded these and got my front left & right speakers back, but have now lost the rear ones again!!

Did you have to do anything else besides install these? I've changed the speaker setup as per the above, but again no joy. I'm running XP Pro as my o/s so not sure whether Vista is more advanced in it's sound options or not....

Further reading leads me to believe that card isn't a 'real' 5.1 card.

My thoughts too. Thanks for the offer of the diagrams etc, but I think I'm just gonna buy a new card - I might as well, seems like I can get a few decent ones for not a whole lot of money.

Thanks for the help - appreciated!

:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back