SoundMax Audio Error

By F15pilotX
Jul 26, 2007
  1. I just reformatted my xp home pc, and have already installed the lastest nvidia/directx drivers, etc, but the sound drivers won't work...

I've tried deleting that "Multimedia device" that has the question mark in device manager, but that doesn't work, and when i try to start a program that uses sound, say, ventrilo, it says it can't "activate directsound" for that device

PC Summary:

2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Have you been to Windows Update and downloaded all the updates available for your computer? I seem to recall a Windows High Definition Audio KB that was necessary under SP2 to correctly install your audio drivers.

I *think* it may have been this KB Article. But please do try Windows Update first to ensure that you get the latest and most correct KB Update for your system...
  3. F15pilotX

F15pilotX TS Rookie Topic Starter

yep, i have my system on auto-update, and have already shut down and installed all those updates...when i press "shutdown system", it doesn't have that icon under "shut down" either

just in case, i downloaded and installed that, and it didn't do anything

btw, there were 73 updates installed, so i'm pretty sure i got them all :p
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.