TechSpot

SoundMax Audio Error

By F15pilotX
Jul 26, 2007
  1. I just reformatted my xp home pc, and have already installed the lastest nvidia/directx drivers, etc, but the sound drivers won't work...

I've tried deleting that "Multimedia device" that has the question mark in device manager, but that doesn't work, and when i try to start a program that uses sound, say, ventrilo, it says it can't "activate directsound" for that device

PC Summary:

2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Have you been to Windows Update and downloaded all the updates available for your computer? I seem to recall a Windows High Definition Audio KB that was necessary under SP2 to correctly install your audio drivers.

I *think* it may have been this KB Article. But please do try Windows Update first to ensure that you get the latest and most correct KB Update for your system...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111/en-us

3. F15pilotX

F15pilotX TS Rookie Topic Starter

yep, i have my system on auto-update, and have already shut down and installed all those updates...when i press "shutdown system", it doesn't have that icon under "shut down" either

just in case, i downloaded and installed that, and it didn't do anything

btw, there were 73 updates installed, so i'm pretty sure i got them all :p

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.