Soundmax audio problems

Hello Techspot! This is pretty much my final attempt at fixing the extremely frustrating problems I've been having with my sound card/drivers. I've looked through forums all over the web, installed every driver imaginable, tried every suggestion I've seen so far with absolutely NO LUCK.

I recently got a new PC, and put my old one in storage. I set up my old one to give to my mom, since it's A LOT better than the computer she used to have. It was reformatted and all ready to be used - just needed to install drivers. So I manually found the ethernet, chipset and audio drivers online. All of them worked except for the audio. I'm not the most technically advanced person when it comes to computers, but I've fixed a lot of things on my own by following online instructions and I know the basics. (I could point out what things are inside the computer.) xD

So anyway, whenever I tried to install the Soundmax drivers (which were automatically recommended on the intel website when it searched for drivers) it gives me the error message: "Drivers not found! Please reboot and try this installation again." I've installed it from numerous places - every time I get the same message. I should also add that when I check DxDiag there is nothing under Sound and under device manager it only says :Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, and Video Codecs under sound, video and game controllers. I've reformatted this computer numerous times and NEVER had so much trouble with the audio. Everytime in the past I've used soundmax! So I don't know what the problem is.

The computer in question is running XP (service pack 3) All of the important updates are done. Everything is fine with it EXCEPT for the audio - I've been trying to figure out the problem literally ALL DAY and I'm getting very stressed out! Please, if you have any suggestions that'd be great.

I have Everest, so if there are any specific specs you'd like me to paste here please let me know!

A lot of people have had this problem before. Did you download and install the AC97' drivers from Realteks site? I see that you have installed everyone imaginable but maybe you didnt go straight to the source xD!

Back