Sounds ONLY play from files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so this problem has been bugging me for a couple of weeks now. My computer will not play any sounds through the speakers unless it is through a media player and the file is on my computer. I have a Realtek AC97 sound driver. I know that my speakers are fine because my Xbox 360 is hooked up to them and they play perfectly.

I have even done an XP repair install, this has not helped either. Sometimes, when a sound needs to be played, the speakers make a bumping crack (if you know what I mean :p). When I play a game on my computer, they just make a constant crackle. It is as if they want to play an instrument but don't have a music book.

I tried downloading that codec pack (forgot the name, but it's popular). I have tried fully uninstalling all my sound drivers and stuff and then reinstalling from manufacturer's website. I have tried all the suggestions out there about editing the registry and stuff, they haven't done anything either.

I did get it back from the pc shop recently because they replaced the hard drive with a new 500gb one and the sound did not work from the moment I turned it on. I would like to avoid having to spend more money there and instead see if this is something I can fix with a mouse and keyboard?

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help.

Take the computer back to the repair shop. They shouldn't charge you to fix this sound issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back