Sources: Xbox 720 will be available in time for Thanksgiving 2013

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’ve been eyeballing an Xbox 360 for yourself or a loved one this holiday season, you might want to think twice about making a purchase this year. People familiar with the company’s plans have revealed that Microsoft is preparing to release the next generation Xbox, often called the Xbox 720, in time for the 2013 holiday buying season.

If Bloomberg’s sources are correct, we should expect to see the new console launch right around Thanksgiving 2013 stateside. Not at all surprising, Microsoft is remaining tight-lipped about the subject as of writing.

bloomberg microsoft xbox christmas

Project Durango (the codename for the new system) is expected to contain four processing cores, each with four logical cores. The final issue of Xbox World also believes we could see up to 8GB of RAM, directional audio, Kinect 2.0 support as well as Blu-ray capabilities. A new gamepad and augmented reality glasses are also expected at some point as well.

It remains unclear at this hour exactly what Microsoft will call the new console or how much it will be priced at. Xbox World doesn’t suspect Microsoft will stick with the 720 moniker. They think the console will take on a simpler name like “Xbox.”

These are all details that we likely won’t know the answers to until next year’s E3 conference or as the sources suggest, perhaps at a separate event dedicated sole to the console. That decision has reportedly not been made yet.

Do you already own a 360, are you planning to pick up one this year or are you going to hold off on investing in a Microsoft console until the next generation unit arrives?

Permalink to story.

I was keeping an eye out for a cheap, used Xbox 360, but I guess I'll just keep holding off until the next gen.

Sync button looks interesting :) Wonder if this will come with windows 8 given the specs lol

My thought is that it will share the Windows 8 kernal and my HOPE is that there will be no differentiation between PC and console games.

I've been waiting 5 years for a cheap 360. Now I might as well wait for the 720 or whatever. Although I'm sure when it comes out ill think, "holy smokes that's freaking expensive and I'm just as broke as I was 5 years ago, guess ill wait for a cheap one." And the cycle will start again.

Consoles are the blight on the advancement of game API's; since the intro of consoles DX development has virtually stopped, looking forward to broader openGL development and Linux gaming. Modern consoles are appliances made for dullards.. they spoon feed you drivel and in exchange you pay them through the nose for the privilege.. The next Xbox iteration should just give up the illusion and be called the 'lazy fat *** POS' .

Just sayin'

Consoles are the blight on the advancement of game API's; since the intro of consoles DX development has virtually stopped, looking forward to broader openGL development and Linux gaming. Modern consoles are appliances made for dullards.. they spoon feed you drivel and in exchange you pay them through the nose for the privilege.. The next Xbox iteration should just give up the illusion and be called the 'lazy fat *** POS' .

Just sayin'

Not everyone has the funds to continually upgrade their gaming machines. The modern consoles have been able to provide millions of people a lengthy and consistent gaming experience at a much lower base price and without added costs (beyond the games themselves and, optionally, something like a Kinect).

I'm not saying you're wrong about consoles holding back the advancements of game technologies, but they're probably helping as many (if not more) gamers as they are hurting.

Just sayin'

Just sayin'

Not everyone has the funds to continually upgrade their gaming machines. The modern consoles have been able to provide millions of people a lengthy and consistent gaming experience at a much lower base price and without added costs (beyond the games themselves and, optionally, something like a Kinect).

I'm not saying you're wrong about consoles holding back the advancements of game technologies, but they're probably helping as many (if not more) gamers as they are hurting.

Both great points I agree with you both.

I've been waiting 5 years for a cheap 360. Now I might as well wait for the 720 or whatever. Although I'm sure when it comes out ill think, "holy smokes that's freaking expensive and I'm just as broke as I was 5 years ago, guess ill wait for a cheap one." And the cycle will start again.

Xbox 360 is a cheap as chips these days and even on new consoles there are often great deals. Here in the UK amazon had a cracking dead on the 250gig Model with Halo 4, was £229, they where selling it for £150+ free 12 months live, it was one day only tho, few weeks ago.

Except for Forza, PGR, Gears of War and Halo, nothing on the Xbox interests me. As a PC gamer, I find the console redundant as it didn't have enough unique exclusives that made it worth spending $ on for me. I find that Xbox is basically a shooters/ross-platform ports consoles but it is exactly these types of titles that are better on the PC - superior mods, graphics, controls. I might pick up Xbox next so that I can scrape together at least 10 exclusives between Xbox 360 and Xbox 720. It also depends on the price and how powerful it is. I agree that spending $200+ on Xbox 360 now sounds like a waste. For those who waited 7 years to pick up an Xbox 360, might as well wait 12 more months and roll over that $200 towards a newer console that will last another 7. I am sure you'd be able to buy those Xbox 360 exclusives from Xbox Live.

I had a moment of stupidity and bought a $299AUD bundle last weekend. 250GB black console, 4 games, headset.

Still more expensive than I would have liked.. but.. I'm still not 100% sure why I got the thing. I guess some exclusives like Gears, Fable, etc were luring me.

Funny thing is, friend has the fat version. We were talking about it, and I guess I bought it for the HDMI and future kinect support..

Back