South Korea aims to make 1,000Mbps the standard by 2012

Emil

South Korea is already considered the country with the fastest broadband for the masses (it offers 12Mbps on average), but it's not quite satisfied with simply being first in the world. Most Western world countries are promising to guarantee everyone 2Mbps connections for the near future and the highest speeds ISPs currently offer are either 50Mbps or 100Mbps. Meanwhile, South Korea is looking to forge even further ahead by boosting its broadband speeds to 1,000Mbps (1Gbps) by 2012, according to the BBC. The South Korean government is encouraging enterprises to spend the 34 trillion Won ($30.63 billion) required to complete the scheme, a figure that is roughly comparable to the country's annual education budget.

"I think in the future we will really see a data deluge - data will explode over the network," said Lee Suk-Chae, chairman of Korea Telecom. "And you cannot handle that data traffic only through the mobile internet. Although there will be LTE, still you won't be able to handle all that traffic. Fixed line is essential to support that traffic and in that sense, I think people want to watch the content they want anywhere, anytime, and to satisfy their demands you need to have a strong network, maybe a gigabit internet." Chae says that only 10 percent of data transfer is through 3G networks in South Korea, while 70 percent comes through Wi-Fi. Given the number of hotspots in the country's urban areas and the many times faster it is, we're not surprised.

A speed of 1Gbps in the Asian nation translates to maxing out your connection at a download speed of 128 megabytes per second. In other words, downloading a 700MB movie would take 5.47 seconds, a 4.7GB DVD would finish in 37.6 seconds, and a 50GB Blu-ray disc would appear on your computer in 6 minutes and 40 seconds. It looks like many South Koreans will soon be downloading at speeds the rest of us can only dream of.

Permalink to story.

This will only be ok if everyone will have moved to SSD as you can't write to a mechanical drive (7200rpm) at 128 MB/s.

lawl

being adopted away from SK suddenly seems to be the worst thing that have ever happend to me....

Guess i have a reasson to seek out my biological parrents ^^

I honestly still want fibre optic broadband(up to about 100mbps) because I hate the provider I'm with(Sky s***band) I barely get half a MB at the best of times but 1,000mb... =O

How is that going to happen? sriously you'll need about 10 fibre optic cables going into each street... or house haha =P

SilverCider said:
This will only be ok if everyone will have moved to SSD as you can't write to a mechanical drive (7200rpm) at 128 MB/s.

Is it not possible for the download to be stored in RAM and then written to the Harddrive at whatever that maximum speed is?

Seeing as how most computers at at 4GB and above for system memory, I don't see any real problems with such a solution, except maybe power failures and the like.

Ehh doesn't really matter if the backbone performance isn't there. All the ISPs can offer those speeds between their network and the subscribers... but the available bandwidth to the internet is probably going to be less. Here in the states we are way over subscribed, while you can get a 12 or 20 mbit connection to your ISP, that doesn't mean you'll be getting that into the internet. During the day i'm lucky to get 2mbit to the internet in the city where I live because of our connection to the backbone.

Guest said:
Ehh doesn't really matter if the backbone performance isn't there. All the ISPs can offer those speeds between their network and the subscribers... but the available bandwidth to the internet is probably going to be less. Here in the states we are way over subscribed, while you can get a 12 or 20 mbit connection to your ISP, that doesn't mean you'll be getting that into the internet. During the day i'm lucky to get 2mbit to the internet in the city where I live because of our connection to the backbone.

I pay for 18mbps and I can get 16-22. One time, it went to like 3.6MBps when I was downloading from steam. That's almost 29 mbps

Is it not possible for the download to be stored in RAM and then written to the Harddrive at whatever that maximum speed is?

Seeing as how most computers at at 4GB and above for system memory, I don't see any real problems with such a solution, except maybe power failures and the like.
Don't you? Suppose you want to stream a Blu-Ray Title. Although, I suppose by the time we get internet at this speed, computers will have 50 Gigs of RAM (DDR-6, that is).

And I thought my university's 40mbps was fast compared to the 3-4mbps I had at home....FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCANADA

But Singapore has presently already made it a standard. The government had played a important roll to invest stakes with Pvt sector players to implement a fiber optic network which presently peaks at 1Gbps and has the potential to go higher.
The present buy in is a 24 month contract at an avarage of 68 Sg $ (additional for home phone alone with TV so the net works out at avg of 68).
The catch we experience is that since rest of the world is still with avg 2 Mbps you will still feel the Nte is slow or nearly the same unless you are sharing file with a Buddy over on the local ISP NW.

But Singapore has presently already made it a standard. The government had played a important roll to invest stakes with Pvt sector players to implement a fiber optic network which presently peaks at 1Gbps and has the potential to go higher.
The present buy in is a 24 month contract at an avarage of 68 Sg $ (additional for home phone alone with TV so the net works out at avg of 68).
The catch we experience is that since rest of the world is still with avg 2 Mbps you will still feel the Nte is slow or nearly the same unless you are sharing file with a Buddy over on the local ISP NW.

yes they have 1000mbps internet in here. the price is approx 400SGD/mth, while the 100mbps is 68-100SGD/mth. do note it only uses fibre-optic connection, hence not all housing is supported. so i guess it's not a standard yet.

1000mbps ~ 125MBps. heck even my harddrive throughput is not that high. :haha:

Back