South Korea raids Google office over data collection

By Emil
May 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 909   +36

I will admit I read North Korea first, then thought "why would Google be in North Korea?" and reread the title. Incidentally, I think Google would have been more defensive if this raid occured in an area where their market share was much, much higher.
  2. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Booster Posts: 1,000   +37

At least their government protects the citizens to that extent... maybe there was an ulterior motive?
  3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Having seen this story on several sites, one thing I'm curious about is what is a "raid" and what is a "visit".

Armed SK SWAT team members with helicopters outside, or a group of men in suits, along with a couple of police computer nerds?
  4. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 909   +36

Simply showing up with a warrant and collecting potential material evidence is considered a raid. TV and movies have sensationalized it to the SWAT style forceful entries, which does not happen nearly as often as one would think.
  5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

True, but I'm thinking with the richness of the English language a less forceful word would exist. I guess served a warrant would fit in the US, but who knows how that works in Korea.

So I guess no photos of Captain Lee with an axe smashing up blade servers, letting the a torrent of silicon spill onto the ground?
  6. I wish governments of other countries protected citizens' privacy with concerns like this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.