TechSpot

South Korea raids Google office over data collection

By Emil
May 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,295   +253

I will admit I read North Korea first, then thought "why would Google be in North Korea?" and reread the title. Incidentally, I think Google would have been more defensive if this raid occured in an area where their market share was much, much higher.

2. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,186   +84

At least their government protects the citizens to that extent... maybe there was an ulterior motive?

3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Having seen this story on several sites, one thing I'm curious about is what is a "raid" and what is a "visit".

Armed SK SWAT team members with helicopters outside, or a group of men in suits, along with a couple of police computer nerds?

4. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,295   +253

Simply showing up with a warrant and collecting potential material evidence is considered a raid. TV and movies have sensationalized it to the SWAT style forceful entries, which does not happen nearly as often as one would think.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

True, but I'm thinking with the richness of the English language a less forceful word would exist. I guess served a warrant would fit in the US, but who knows how that works in Korea.

So I guess no photos of Captain Lee with an axe smashing up blade servers, letting the a torrent of silicon spill onto the ground?

6. I wish governments of other countries protected citizens' privacy with concerns like this.