SP2 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

edawg159

OK, So I recently had some spyware/malware infections that I was able to take care of. So I thought it would be a good idea to update to SP2.

After two days of trying to install this service pack (access denied errors etc), I was able to get it all the way to the "cleanup" stage when I get this error:

installer has to close sorry for the inconveinence Appver: 5.5.1005.0 Appstamp:40f8193a ModName: ntdll.dll, Modver 5.1.2600.2180

So, I read on various message board the thing to do is run SFC /ScanNow...Did that, and rebooted, now, oh,boy do I have problems!!!

1. Active and or minimized programs do not appear in the task bar
2. Internet explorer loads some pages and only partials of others
3. Youtube pages come up but no the video's
4. I can't use the "Find, copy or paste" functions in IE I can click them but they don't work
5. When I go to Add/Remove Programs, I think many of my hotfixes and prevously installed patches are gone.
6. My computer boots very slow.

I hope some gracious person knows how to 1. fix my symptoms, 2. help me get SP2 installed

You need to reflect on whether or not you're willing to wipe the HDD, and start over with a complete clean install.

I was hoping that would not be necessary.

Also its a Dell computer, they did not give me XP disks. Just a "Drivers and Utilities"

It is also saying I need to add my printer again

But it says I can't because my printer spooler service is not running

Your "Windows CD" is actually the partition on the hard drive, and the restore discs make the call to reinstall from there. You should be able to get a physical Windows disc through Dell support. I don't know how much they charge.

You probably should (must, sorry) read these 2 threads; https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
and; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65943.html to enhance you decision making capability.

If something uninstalled the printer drivers, along with all the other problems you speak of, you should have an idea how much damage has been done.

In the end, nobody wants to reformat and reinstall, but sometimes it's easier that way. Keep the thread open, perhaps somebody will offer another alternative.

Well, I can't click on your links cause IE won't open another window.

I inserted the Dell disk and when I go to run it I get and RPC error. I then went to Run--> Services.msc and tried to start RPC- and I get error 1053 service did not respond in time.

So If I was going to start over how do I do this?

If I thought I could copy & paste those entire threads for you I would. That would probably raise too many eyebrows. Try copying the links (one at a time, obviously), close IE, then reopen and paste it into the address bar. If not, go to the "Security and the Web" forum, you will find those threads at the top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back