Space may be full of homeless planets

Archean

Einstein postulated nearly a century ago that the universe might actually be full of “homeless” planets which have no star to call their own. Now a group of Japanese researchers may have found a large number of stars that are more or less free-floating in space with no home stars, suggesting that Einstein’s theory was correct.

homeless-planets-1.jpg

That wasn't really expected to be honest... Very nice to see that mr. Einstein has had another theory proven. Or at least, not totally dismissed.

What's even more funny is that both in the article and in Archean's post, there are references to "stars with no home stars".

Even in a bold font over at the article :D .

Yup, I am still trying to figure out 'who theorized stars with no home stars' :confused:.

But anyway, we know that its a typo, which shouldn't have published if they had put little more effort in 'proof reading'.

Also I think it can be possible too because, if two galaxies bump into each other, there is a chance many stars may be thrown out from the new galaxy, hence they too will become 'homeless'.

Also I think it can be possible too because, if two galaxies bump into each other, there is a chance many stars may be thrown out from the new galaxy, hence they too will become 'homeless'.

Oh? I thought the centres would form a super-black hole => making sure that nothing escapes at all?

But now that you mention it... yeah. I never thought about it that way.

Centers would probably merge, as many current models of M31 and Milkway's collision show that. But the same models also show that depending on the position of our solar system, the whole system will be chucked out of the merging galaxies.

So there could be planets that attach to no galaxy, as well as no star? Even more, there could be alot of planets out there acting as, say, an asteroid or other object, with no orbit, just driffting in an 'endless' void.

Very interesting stuff, Archean :)

Back