Sparks flying literally need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I just installed an Nvidia 6200 graphics card on my pc that previously had onboard video, i installed the drivers and everything was fine however i plugged in some headphones into an additional headphone jack on the front of my pc and sparks shot out, made a loud noise, then the screen went black and now i only hear out the left side of my speaker, of which is onboard audio so i'm wondering if i miswired something or setup the bios wrong. The rest of the computer works fine and I attempted to change the power wire going to the graphics card however i tried to plug into my tower headphone jack and it still does that however the screen doesn't turn off anymore and i'm completely stumped. Please help me, I have a custom pc with a PC Chips model M963G with XP SP2, if you need any other information please tell me i just want to get this fixed!

I'm sorry, I chuckled at the "sparks," well more than likely, almost 100% sure something on your board is fried. Everyone else will probably tell you the same thing. I'm gonna look around to see if there is a solution. Wish mehs lucks.

What do you mean the rest of the computer works fine? It boots into Windows or no?

If it boots into Windows that spark was probably just static electricity. Some PSUs will shut down if there is a static discharge, but will still work if you turn the system back on. So if you can still run your system, I'd say you just fried your onboard sound chip. I'd just disable it in Windows and the BIOS and get yourself a new PCI sound card.

I just repaired a system that had sparks showing when you plugged in a USB drivce or opened the case. The cause was a faulty power supply. After changing the supply, the sparks were no more. The computer works fine

I think your right SNGX1275, because the rest of the computer is good, it loads windows and (ironically) is running better than ever however, the right speaker is dead so I'm pretty sure that just the sound card fried. anyone know of a cheap pci soundcard that is easy to get at, i need a replacement apparently! I'm going to try disabling my onboard sound and see if it stops sparking or making any noise.

If possible, I would like to get a sound card (PCI) that can also install to make the front audio jacks on my tower work again, they were very convenient and i miss them so! By the way, what is the name of the device that allows you to use the front audio jacks off of an external card? is it a front out port or something?

A PCI sound card will not allow you to use the front speaker and mic jacks. Those jacks were designed with connectors made to connect to the motherboards audio header. You will still have to plug into the new sound cards jacks in the back of the computer

Actually, some PCI cards do have header pins and accompanying software to enable you to use the front panel audio jacks. The Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer PCI card is one example and the Asus Xonar DX PCI-E x1 card also does.

What about this one, Sabrent SBT-SP6C, its a cheap one from newegg.com and it says it has internal audio connectors, so i'm guessing thats for things in this situation, or am i wrong? It's at newegg so have a look and see if i can I'm wondering if this is exactly what I need or not, it looks good and is inexpensive, also if i'm right then i can use this and get my front audio ports back as well right?

Keep looking. That Sabrent doesn't have the right header pins for front panel audio unless the picture is wrong. Look at the connector from your case audio jacks. It has two rows of sockets, four on one row and five on the other if I recall correctly. The Sabrent doesn't have that configuration.

I ended up getting a cheap one that works great, yay its a diamond xtreme 5.1
I had to sack the front panels but the card is great, tho the *****s gave me the wrong drivers and i thought it was broke at first but it said it was the 7.1 drivers so i got the 5.1 drivers from the site and it works like a dream, i got a question, on my motherboard how do you disconnect the front panel audio and mic jacks, i just don't want someone trying to stick in some headphones by mistake and blowing the system skyhigh!

Just look at the wires coming out of the jacks and follow them to the motherboard, then unplug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back