Speaker noise only in browser

By Polarity
Jun 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. About two days ago I started getting popping and crackling noises from my laptop speakers while playing any kind of in-browser video. It's not a hardware thing, because anything run outside the browser (CDs, iTunes, VLC, DVDs, etc.) sounds just fine. Tested in both Firefox and Safari, both have the popping/crackling problem, so it's not something with one browser.

I have tech support for this computer (Dell business model, Latitude E6500 w/XP), they tried updating sound card drivers, updating BIOS and uninstalling and reinstalling sound card. The last thing actually fixed it, until I started up my PC tonight, now the problem is back again. Anyone have suggestions for me? I really, really don't want to do a restore, because I've just spent the last four hours installing a game that I would then lose. If that's the only option, though...

Don't seem to have any issues with connectivity, or lag that I can detect.
  2. ComputerGuy55

ComputerGuy55 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 529

Uninstall and Reinstall Adobe Flash Player, in-browser video's use Adobe Flash player and since it is browser only related this may indicate there's an issue with Flash/the codecs for flash.. Just do a reinstall, post back with if it worked.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.