Speaker popping

Modena

Hi, I recently built myself a new computer and everything is working fine except for this one thing with my speakers. I'll randomly get this popping noise when there's nothing playing from the speakers. It's very seldom but I'd like nonetheless to get rid of it. Also I tried with different brand new speakers and the popping was still there, any help appreciated, thank you.

Specs if it helps
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
AMD Phenom II 965 BE @3.4
G.skill Ripjaws 4gb ddr3-1333
XFX HD 4770
OCZ 700w PS
750gb WD Black

I built another system today for a friend of mine identical specs -the 4770 instead a GTS450, and it does not have that speaker issue... Any ideas anyone?

Must be a dodgy connection from the input. are you using integrated sound card? if so your best bet is to get yourself a cheap sound card like a Sound blaster Audigy. Dedicated is always better than integrated plus it lifts usage from your cpu. if you have some spare cash they usualy go for about £10 - £20 best way to eliminate your problem.

Thanks for the response, yeah I'll probably end up doing that considering I probably cant fix it any other way.

Must be a dodgy connection from the input. are you using integrated sound card? if so your best bet is to get yourself a cheap sound card like a Sound blaster Audigy. Dedicated is always better than integrated plus it lifts usage from your cpu. if you have some spare cash they usualy go for about £10 - £20 best way to eliminate your problem.

Dedicated is not always better.

A crap dedicated sound card is not going to match good integrated sound, no matter how you suggest otherwise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the sound's bandwidth controlled by the southbridge, and therefore not using any CPU cycles/bandwidth at all?!?

Hey Leeky,
I'm a fan of integrated sound too. The better motherboards have great HD sound now. I ditched my dedicated Audigy when I moved to Windows 7. I'm not a fan of anything ASUS though. Modena's sound poping could most likely benefit from a dedicated card

My speakers pop when me or someone turns the florescent lights on nearby even when the PC is off since the speakers are plugged into the wall and on all the time. Someone in the next room or above/below you switching things on could do the same (do a Sherlock Holmes and you might find the culprit) elementry my dear dr. watson.

Its probably interference. I get the same thing through my speakers if my wireless router or cordless landline phone are too close to my speakers.

As soon as I moved both items it stopped.

Hey, thanks for all the responses. I got a new sound card couple days ago and the issue is now gone. Definitely worth the $35 I spent on it to get rid of the sound problem, vs returning my board and dealing with all that crap...

Back