Speaker vibrations bad for PC?

D

Dalton

I have a mini system that I use sometimes as computer speakers and one speaker is under the desk and gives lots of bass. Heard vibrations weren't good for a computer. Is this true?

Anecdotal evidence, but I had a desktop PC and later a Mac Mini pretty close to a 650W 12" sub and I'd have the computer on and that sub rocking the world lots of times and never had a problem.

You are right, it would seem that something like that wouldn't be good, but I think for components, things fit really tight, so vibrations wouldn't really do anything there. My concern has always been mechanical hard drives, but like I said, I've never had a prob.

The way I see it, if hand held devices continue to work after being dropped, there is little to no way speaker vibrations can damage them. I know PC's are different, if dropped the larger components can be damaged but speaker vibrations shouldn't effect them any different than hand held devices.

With the exception of the older mp3 players (iPod and Zune) having mechanical hard drives, then I agree. But most modern hand helds are all solid state.

But then again, many people dropped iPods in the past and didn't kill them. So...

Ok, well I guess maybe it won't be to bad because the desk ain't shaking like crazy or anything but just some vibrations you can feel going through the desk. One thing I was thinking was that they make really loud computer speaker systems now with subwoofers so I was kind of thinking it shouldn't hurt anything but was still curious about that. Thanks for the replies!

Back