Speed fan says my CPU runs to hot

Yes i am running an HP Pavilion with everything but hard drive and disk drives and ram stock.My speedfan tells me my CPU is running between 55-73c after applying new AS5 thermal past...

2GB ram
Motherboard manufacturer's name: ECS RC410-M
HP/Compaq name: Asterope2-GL8E
2.8GHz Intel Pentium D
PSU-Unknown
i have a 92mm case fan and an 80mm fan i am using to draw heat out also and i have the heatsink pulling heat away from the cpu...

What is wrong?

I am only running a web browser when the temps reach that high...i am wondering if my CPU is going out on me or what is wrong..i cannot figure it out for the life of me!

Everything else is running way cool..just my CPU is running hot i touch my heatsink also and its cold as the dead...so i am wondering if my cpu temp is not lying to me

Pentium D's run pretty hot anyway. So I don't think 73 is anything to be alarmed about. The only bit that seems a little concerning is that your heatsink feels cool, that is usually an indication you didn't get a good contact with the heatsink and cpu.

I'd say, if you aren't getting much higher than 73 and the system isn't locking up or rebooting then I'd just leave it how it is. That temp isn't going to kill the CPU.

Back