Speed up office 2003 load time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyhkuj

Hi there. Is there any way possible to speed up microsoft office 2003 load time? If there is please say! thanx for any help in advance!

Put a raptor 10k rpm drive in your system and install office to there. That should improve load times. RAM will not have an effect on load time until after the software has been put into memory, so the first load is largely controlled by the hard drive. Plus, he has 1gb which is sufficient to handle windows + crap + office. A faster CPU will help, but the biggest change would be a new hard drive.

Edit: By system specs, is that a laptop? If so, do you have a 7200rpm notebook drive yet? Those are a very nice upgrade over the 5200rpm drives, but they do suck battery if you use it unplugged a lot.

Hmm.. With such a machine, I would guess the problem is a badly fragmented HD or some more serious issue.

Or maybe kiyhkuj has some unrealistic expectations about software load times.. Offce 2003 ran perfectly OK on my Duron 800 with 256 megs of RAM back in the day. (OK as in the thing didn't load slow enough to annoy) How long does it take for you to start up Word?

load time is affected by your HD. If it is a slow drive or severely fragmented then it will boot slow. also if you have insufficient ram your hard drive will page file.

I also suggest using openoffice.

Why are you people suggesting OOo if you don't even know what the user is doing? If she has a multi-gigabyte Access database or wants to use Outlook, then OpenOffice is totally useless.

For anything more advanced than just typing, OpenOffice is inferior.

bushwhacker said:
No, technicalfury42.

I tried Po'girl's post about OOo tweak, it works a lot better.

That's not a "tweak"; that's changing applications.

If you want to use MICROSOFT OFFICE you can do a variety of things to improve load times. Obviously, if you change your application, the OP question is moot.

eh nodsu im a HE thank u!
Anyways guys i guess i was a little bit too optimistic! The load times are OK.. honestly!! thnx for ALL replies and the one from NODSU too!! JOKE!!

Nodsu said:
Why are you people suggesting OOo if you don't even know what the user is doing? If she has a multi-gigabyte Access database or wants to use Outlook, then OpenOffice is totally useless.

For anything more advanced than just typing, OpenOffice is inferior.
I would beg to differ. I have used OO on a variety of applications with no real difficulties.

Really.. You must be an advanced user then :)

Let's try something dead simple..
Ever tried to number pages in OO Writer, starting from page two?
Do try it in OOs and MS Office and come back saying that it's just as easy in both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back