Spill on laptop

By siffanee
Mar 26, 2007
  1. Hi,
    I spilled something on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 5160). At first it would only turn on for half a second now the computer turns on (green lights on and fan is on), but there is no display and no sound (such as a beep or the windows chime).

  2. Nodsu

    Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

    Take it to a repair shop and let them give you a price estimate. The diagnosis work will probably be sth like $100-$200

    Assuming that miracles don't happen.. At minimum you will need to have the motherboard replaced. In additon, keyboard, power supply, hard drive, battery, pretty much anything that could have been shorted out or corroded. You are probably looking at a repair cost of $500-$1000
  3. SNGX1275

    SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

    Next time you do it, shut down immediately and pull the battery. Then dump out the beer you spilled on it, open it up and wipe it up/rinse with water. Dry quickly. Then let it sit for a day or so to dry up what you didn't get. Should work.

  4. Tedster

    Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

    I would also use professional electronics cleaner/degreaser. The kind that evaporates in seconds.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...