Spontanous Rebooting - Wots goin on???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all...

I've just upgraded to a brand new Abit AN7 Guru Motherboard with an Athlon 3000+ and Winfast A360 td Videocard. Also a new 120 gig seagate HD and 512meg ram (for now)..

I have this outragously annoying problem with my new PC. Spontanous rebooting... Right now its fine... Its doing nothing..

I have only installed WindowsXP, Office, Photoshop, Acrobat, Ulead Video Studio, Sound Forge and a couple of games.. It crashed several time during the installation of Office. I was lucky to get what programs i have installed, cause during the reboot after installation - it would crash.

I then used U lead studio... If in capture mode - it has a higher chance of crashing. I then went to record somthing in SoundForge - it crashed. Everytime!! But it would happily play a 32meg wav file all day...

Threre no blue screen, no nothing.. Just straight back to reboot.. It does come up with error reports upon re-start..

I have done all bios updates and video card updates... I have also given it a 430v power supply...

Even games like PostalWorker and Farcry just wont work!! U get about 3 mins into the game and windows throws error reports at you..

Absolute beast of a PC - but im ready to pack it all in and just buy a G5....

Help!! This has had to have happened to someone before!!!

Wtf is the problem!!!

What errors are coming up? Have you checked the Event Viewer? But it sounds like my last nForce board. It would only drash when I did multimedia, would play games for a few minutes and freeze. It was a bad board.

Hello

I know, I dont know whats going on!

I have an ASUS A7N8X-E DLX with XP 2800+

The machine would randomly reboot, but its happy playing MP3's for 36 hours.

I have tried replacing the MB
I have bought a new CPU
Replaced PSU
Replaced VGA
Replaced RAM
Replaced Modem (Dial-Up)
Reinstalled WinBlows Too Many Times To Count.

Flashed BIOS with version 1008
Latest Nforce MCP-T Drivers
Latest VGA Drivers
All Updates done

Tried to put modem card in different slot, maybe it could of been an IRQ problem

Now, I am trying with the modem out of the PC.

Please give me some suggestions!

HELP ME!

Thanks

Welcome to TechSpot both of you.

Adams, it is never good to enter a new problem inside someone else's thread. Look in the ASUS A7N8X thread abit further down, they probably solved your problem there already.

twitch, give us your exact powersupply specs please. Your PC probably has some generic PSU with not enough juice.

Well.... I have an Enermax 420W PSU, and I found out the problem. It seems that the CPU Overheating Protection causes the PC to reboot under a load. If you leave the machine idle or under a small load, it will run fine. But if you run some more detailed apps, the PC will reboot! I currently swapped a MSI KT6V MB in there and it has not rebooted for a week or so!

If you could still give me some more advice, because I'd rather use my ASUS then the MSI, but if the PC works, dont fix it!

Thanks

I pretty sure you can tweak the C.O.P system in the Asus board to reboot at higher temperature or switch it off somewhere in the BIOS.

Well.... I have an Enermax 420W PSU, and I found out the problem. It seems that the CPU Overheating Protection causes the PC to reboot under a load. If you leave the machine idle or under a small load, it will run fine. But if you run some more detailed apps, the PC will reboot! I currently swapped a MSI KT6V MB in there and it has not rebooted for a week or so!

Since this seems to be a overheating issue, I would try using a better cpu cooler with artic silver and maybe add another case fan. It could be that it is running hot in the MSI board also and just not shutting down. The cooler you keep your case and components the longer they will last. Adjusting the defaults for ASUS COP will allow you to run; but at what expense? Monitor your cpu temps at idle and under 100% load and post the results for more detailed info.

Hope this helps.

The last reply was for Adams Hot Deals

Now onward to the true thread:

Threre no blue screen, no nothing.. Just straight back to reboot.. It does come up with error reports upon re-start..

I ran across almost the same problem with a newly built computer. It caused me headaches for about four weeks. After reloading and reloading variations of drivers in different orders and disabling caches and agp setting, I settled on the drivers that came with the motherboard (with default original settings) and the original component drivers. Then I upped the voltages on the memory and the agp card. Then I did a 24 hour memory burn-in test. Then I used a motherboard burn-in program for a day and a Winmark program for another day. The combination of three days of burn-in and the slightly higher voltages solved all my problems. Since then, I have updated the motherboard drivers and the video drivers and haven't had any further problems.

I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.
A good burn-in before use never hurts.

Hope this helps. The memory burn-in program I found from other threads here at Techspot. I believe the memory program was called memtest. The other burn-in programs were found through a google search.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back