Sporadic Freezes / Lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there im looking for some help if i can guys!

Recently i have had problems with my pc locking up / feezing on me and it is extremely sporadic when it happens. Some times i boot the pc and it will freeze even before it can post in BIOS, sometimes the pc wont even boot at all and it will keep doing the power up process repeatedly as if im pressing my restart button. Other times it will load the OS and i will be able to use it and within minutes of loging into my account it freezes again, and other times i can have the pc on all day with no issues at all with it underload of games and so forth.

When it comes to pc's im not exactly the most knowledgable person but i know enough for minor problem solving, so i thought it might be my memory and due to the fact that most of the time it freezes before i can run a memtest i checked each stick of RAM by its self in all 4 different slots to see if it was a memory error which i had nothing back on as it just did the same thing for each of the 4 stick in each of the 4 slots.

I also thought it might be my mother board but upon thinking more cannot find a reason why it would be, because sometimes i can use the computer as if nothing is wrong and surely if it was the motherboard it wouldn't boot up to that point?

Thirdly i thought maybe its a power problem, i checked all the cables and made sure everything was seated properly and found no difference, i also checked all the VCORE and chip set voltages to make sure they were correct which they are and i dont over clock either so no issues there.

I then decided to take the whole pc apart and rebuild it just by chance that maybe something wasnt seated properly, after putting the pc back together i found the pc went from its original proccess of constant restarts at the time to booting the OS which i dont know if its by chance or just because something got reseated, to booting windows and staying on for about 15 minutes.

When it boots i can hear the hard drives spinning up, graphics card etc, all seems to be fine when the pc turns on but just randomly freezes in BIOS and OS. Even when im in the config for the motherboard in BIOS going through the options it still freezes which im guessing should tell me its not a HDD issue and its either motherboard or PSU.

When the freezes happen i dont get any errors, i have never seen a BSOD and as explained its extremely sporadic..... im still guessing its a power supply issue but i just wanted to ask some people that have more knowledge than i do before i go wasting money on something thing i may not actually need.

Computer Spec
CPU: AMD Athlon 64x Dual Core 6000+ 3.1ghz
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
Memory: OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400 1GB (4 of these)
Graphics Card: Geforce 9800 GTX

If you need any other information i will be glad to answer, just hope someone will be able to fathom out my issue for me with more confidence than i have in my answer haha :D

Thanks in advance!

Dan

I'll advise you to have a look at Event Viewer logs and see whether it has some clues to offer. You can do this by going to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, then to Event Viewr, look for any Red/yellow tagged events.

Is there anything in particular i should be looking for in there Archean, Sorry never used Event Viewer before =[

I managed to boot my pc to have a look at it and it keeps giving these errors:

Critical - ID: 41 - Kernal Power

Warning - ID: 219 - Kernal-PnP
Warning - ID: 11 - Wininit

Error - ID: 10010 - DistribitionCOM

All jargon to me unfortunately =[

And they happen in groups at the same time, ie when the pc crashes (Which im guess is a good thing from a point of view that its got something to do with it?

Event ID 41 (Kernel Power) – This error could occur if the system stopped responding, failed or unexpectedly lost power.

Event ID 219 - This event is logged because of the timing of components that are being loaded during the installation. According to MS it is safe to ignore the message, and no action needs to be taken.

Event ID 11 - Do you have TrendMicro, Zone Alarm, AVG or similar AV/Firewall solution running on your PC ?

I would ask you to consider the first one as most critical; and look at your PSU with multimeter; also ensure that all connectors are securely placed in their respective sockets.

With regards to Event ID 11 - I run Kasperky Internet Security

I don't have a multimeter and for the cost of one im sure its just cheaper to buy a new PSU and not test it :D

But having said that, now i know that Error 41 is with regards to a possible power loss i see no reason why it wouldn't be the PSU as the problem because it is not just OS based, it happens sometimes in BIOS, even before it can post sometimes and while im in the OS. So surely its got to be power related, and i have rebuilt the pc twice to make sure things or seated correctly : /

Which PSU you have by the way?
And whenever you may choose to replace it, please don't buy cheaper one. You are using 9800GTX so something in the range of 500W (with 24+ amps on +12V rails) will be ideal with some headroom.

Hiper 530W Black Type-R Modular PSU - SLI Certified with Active PFC

Thats the model i have in there at the moment.

When did you bought this PSU? I believe it is adequate for your setup. Now, if its PSU issue (not some connector/hardware issue) and its still in warranty you may be in luck.

I bought it in 2006 so its out of warrenty now but its ok, you can pick up decent PSU's around 500w for about £50 - £60 now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back