Spotify doubles down on Joe Rogan with reported $250M deal

zohaibahd

Staff
TL;DR: Spotify has inked a fresh multi-year partnership with Joe Rogan, the podcaster whose blockbuster show will soon expand its reach to other platforms like YouTube and Apple Podcasts. The deal is a gamble for Spotify, as it risks alienating some of its users and advertisers who disagree with Rogan's views and content. But the platform seems confident that Rogan's loyal fan base and massive reach will pay off.

"The Joe Rogan Experience" has been exclusive to Spotify since 2020 under a lucrative multimillion-dollar deal. But the new contract is even more eye-popping, with the Wall Street Journal estimating it could be worth as much as $250 million over its multi-year term.

The WSJ report says that the agreement includes a hefty upfront guarantee for Rogan as well as a revenue-sharing model based on ad sales. It allows Spotify to handle ad distribution for the wildly popular podcast while broadening its availability to competing platforms.

The prospect of Rogan's loyal fanbase generating more streams and ad dollars for the Swedish audio platform drove Spotify's stock up around 2% on Friday.

Rogan himself took to Spotify's blog to celebrate the partnership renewal. "The conversations have changed the way I think about life immeasurably," he gushed, highlighting the freeform, long-form nature of the interviews as "a kind of mental nourishment."

The Joe Rogan Experience has over 2,200 episodes so far, covering an eclectic range of guests from comedians to conspiracy theorists. And while it's consistently been a top draw for Spotify, it's also courted major controversy along the way.

Most notably, pressure mounted in 2022 for the platform to drop Rogan over his anti-vaccine stance which produced claims ranging from mRNA vaccines being a form of "gene therapy" and that healthy young people simply don't need Covid-19 vaccines. Artists like Neil Young pulled their music in protest, but Spotify stood firm, simply adding "content advisories" to flagged episodes.

Around the same time, people dug up older episodes where Rogan was recorded using racial slurs in various contexts. Spotify chose to scrub these archival instalments off the platform.

Even so, his most talked-about interviews continue to pull in millions of monthly listeners despite the periodic firestorms. It seems Spotify is willing to weather backlash to keep Rogan's massive yet divisive platform in their stable.

Permalink to story.

Lol, they've only been "controversies" to a loud, whiny, minority of people.

If they're doubling down, it's because a quiet majority of people don't consider him controversial (or don't care).

As someone who doesn't find time to watch him, I just see his podcast as letting people say stuff without judgement, but calling them out as needed if it's ridiculous. And it treats the listeners like adults (letting people figure things out on their own).

Lol, they've only been "controversies" to a loud, whiny, minority of people.

If they're doubling down, it's because a quiet majority of people don't consider him controversial (or don't care).

As someone who doesn't find time to watch him, I just see his podcast as letting people say stuff without judgement, but calling them out as needed if it's ridiculous. And it treats the listeners like adults (letting people figure things out on their own).
I rarely watch full podcasts but the important stuff usually ends up as youtube shorts. The best part is that Joe Rogan has openly said he doesn't even care about the money anymore but he'd be an ***** to turn it down.

He says most of what he does when he isn't making the podcast is just hang out with his dog and watch TV. I forget who it was with but I remember him saying "I have f*** you money but I still just hang out with my dog on the couch"

Here's a conundrum, I am a busy IT guy who hasn't come across Spotify or Joe Rogan, and feel happy about it. The world is obscenely scenic and centric on so much BS that we all should stay away from. In fact, most of it I wouldn't poke with a shitstick.

"Controversies aren't stopping Spotify from going all-in on Joe Rogan"

On the contrary, controversies are probably why Spotify is going "all-in" on Joe Rogan. There is no such thing as "bad press".

Why are there no captions with the photos...is that a dying art? I think that's John Carmack in the photo used in the article. Only a gamer/nerd would probably recognize him. But I'm not 100% sure.

What controversy?
His anti-vaccine nonsense, his antisemitic and sexist comments, promoting of endless conspiracy theories as if they were facts. Should I keep going? This stuff only matters to people with fully functioning brains though. Those who watch his garbage show lack one of those, so to them there are no conspiracies and no matter what he says they will keep supporting him. In that sense he's just like Trump. His supporters are all in, no matter what. You know, to "own the libs".

The way I see it, if it's on TV, YouTube or anywhere online, it's for entertainment purpose. That includes the news who have a horrible track record of fact checking.

Believe whatever you want, it's your choice. Make up your own mind about things.

While I don't personally watch Joe, I have seen his shorts or at least a ton of fake ones that also exist.

Again, it's all for entertainment purpose. I wouldn't go too crazy over any of it. People probably be surprised how much is real or how much is not. Enjoy whatever you watch.

I rarely watch full podcasts but the important stuff usually ends up as youtube shorts.
The sentiment above is why our Founding Fathers wisely feared creating a democracy, and instead opted for a republic.

I don't like that some of the money I give Spotify goes to this clown, but I don't care enough to drop my subscription. I just don't listen to him (or any podcast, for that matter). I'd rather see them put money into developing a stable full-featured app with a good UI. Seems like I am always going to the Windows desktop version or the web player to do something I can't do on the Android version.

His anti-vaccine nonsense, his antisemitic and sexist comments, promoting of endless conspiracy theories
Rogan has made no "antisemitic" remarks. And what you call his "anti-vaccine nonsense" is a simple statement that healthy young people under age 21 don't need the vaccine -- a statement well borne out by the science. As for conspiracy theories, perhaps like you'd like to again tell us how Hunter's laptop was created by Russian spies?

Rogan has made no "antisemitic" remarks. And what you call his "anti-vaccine nonsense" is a simple statement that healthy young people under age 21 don't need the vaccine -- a statement well borne out by the science. As for conspiracy theories, perhaps like you'd like to again tell us how Hunter's laptop was created by Russian spies?

just drink your own piss and eat elk meat and you will be disease free

His anti-vaccine nonsense, his antisemitic and sexist comments, promoting of endless conspiracy theories as if they were facts. Should I keep going? This stuff only matters to people with fully functioning brains though. Those who watch his garbage show lack one of those, so to them there are no conspiracies and no matter what he says they will keep supporting him. In that sense he's just like Trump. His supporters are all in, no matter what. You know, to "own the libs".
You might want to watch a few episodes in full because everything you've said is straight from 3rd party sources. Of all the content online his podcasts are pretty damn balanced and unbiased or just people joking about things. Most content gets chopped up into shorts and has lost all context which is what everyone gets hung up on. When watched in full with context 99% of the drama fades away.

The way I see it, if it's on TV, YouTube or anywhere online, it's for entertainment purpose. That includes the news who have a horrible track record of fact checking.

Believe whatever you want, it's your choice. Make up your own mind about things.

While I don't personally watch Joe, I have seen his shorts or at least a ton of fake ones that also exist.

Again, it's all for entertainment purpose. I wouldn't go too crazy over any of it. People probably be surprised how much is real or how much is not. Enjoy whatever you watch.

Considering I learned my whole craft through YouTube, this is load of bollocks. For instance some of the VOX stuff on Netflix.

Time to start giving out huge fines to companies in the USA and UK and EU that don't practice Free Speech on thier platforms, an if they don't pay close them down after 6 months.
Simple way to save the planet from Fascists on the left like Hitler who silenced the truth not matter it was the truth, He silenced it say he was right

You might want to watch a few episodes in full because everything you've said is straight from 3rd party sources. Of all the content online his podcasts are pretty damn balanced and unbiased or just people joking about things. Most content gets chopped up into shorts and has lost all context which is what everyone gets hung up on. When watched in full with context 99% of the drama fades away.
Anyone who still believes this stuff about Rogan has no interest in the truth, only in finding a story that matches their pre existing bias. They can grab onto that pearl, clutch it, and move on with their lives thinking they know all.

The internet sure does a good job of giving the smallest minorities the loudest megaphone. In reality, the majority agrees with common sense. Go out and get opinions from people that exist in your community, you'll find the bull*** spewed on the internet is only owned by the few.

just drink your own piss and eat elk meat and you will be disease free
That worked well for you, eh? Still, I think I'll stick to the science here: if you're old, take the vaccine; if you're very young, don't. Those in between, make your own choice.

What kool-aid are you drinking? I'd like to avoid that one.

Literally nobody - with the possible exception of you - doubts that the laptop's hard drive was a Russian plant.
Was this a joke post? The DOJ officially stated more than a year ago that Hunter's laptop -- and its contents -- were not only validated, but matched in content to Hunter's own cloud account.

Considering I learned my whole craft through YouTube, this is load of bollocks. For instance some of the VOX stuff on Netflix.
Didn't say you couldn't learn anything. We all learn through various ways.

A lot of stuff, especially online is entertainment purpose. Not to say you can't learn things but that's its main purpose. The more entertaining something is the more views it will get. Same thing with TV.

Whether you belive something to be true or not, that's solely up to.

Was this a joke post? The DOJ officially stated more than a year ago that Hunter's laptop -- and its contents -- were not only validated, but matched in content to Hunter's own cloud account.
Have it ever occurred to you how easy it would be to hack a cloud account and put the cloud contents on any laptop and present that laptop as someone's property?

Back