TechSpot

Spotify goes live in the U.S., free service is invite-only for now

By Jos
Jul 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Spotify has officially gone live in the U.S. this morning after many months of rumors and speculation. The popular music streaming service has been available in several European countries for…

Read the whole story
  2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

If somebody tells me why should I use Spotify instead of Grooveshark, I might switch.
  3. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Spotify is cheaper, for starters.
  4. However Grooveshark is also free, and contains more songs than Spotify. Spotify will most likely (as it has been in Sweden and other European countries) be free for a period and suddenly they will limit the Free edition greatly.

Here, Free used to only contain ads in between some songs but now Free is limited to playing a song 4 times before it is locked and 10 hours/month of listening time.

Grooveshark is free and contains no audio-adds.
  5. Well if I compare Grooveshark to Rhapsody....I like Rhapsody better because all songs are same HIGH quality....On Grooveshark many of the songs are bad quality and are just songs people uploaded. Also is Grooveshark really legal...I highly doubt it.
  6. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

Hey, im a huge spotify fan, it's got all of my old and obscure music which a lot of music services don't offer! I have had 2 free european accounts using proxies and if anyone has done the same you can easily get in to spotify US without an invitation here's how. this also works still if you create a NEW euro account.

Login to your euro account, go to your profile edit page, and change your country from UK to US, and that's it!

Have fun :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.