Spotify royalties surpass iTunes earnings by 13 percent in Europe, data shows

Shawn Knight

Staff member

europe spotify royalties overtake itunes earnings apple spotify itunes royalties music sales streaming music music downloads

Kobalt Music Publishing, which represents and collects royalties for thousands of artists around the globe, says its clients in Europe collected 13 percent more revenue from Spotify than iTunes during the first quarter of this year.

While not representative of all artists in all markets, the data clearly illustrates the ongoing shift from digital downloads to the streaming model.

europe spotify royalties overtake itunes earnings apple spotify itunes royalties music sales streaming music music downloads

Kobalt CEO Willart Ahdritz agrees, pointing out that Spotify overtaking iTunes in Europe is an important new milestone in streaming. The music industry’s infrastructure is failing them, the executive added, as it’s unable to efficiently account for the enormous volumes of data from digital transactions.

The streaming model is popular among music listeners for its convenience, putting millions of songs within reach at the tap of a finger or the click of a mouse. And while pirated music isn’t as big of a deal as it once was, streaming is putting money in the hands of labels and artists that may have otherwise gone unpaid.

Even still, streaming has been relatively slow to catch on as the music industry and artists have been reluctant to move away from a tried-and-true business model. Furthermore, some artists believe streaming providers don’t pay enough to be worthwhile.

A timely example of this is Taylor Swift who removed her music from Spotify just yesterday. Regardless of whether or not you’re a fan of her music, her stand against Spotify is a big deal in the industry but whether it’s enough to convince the company to pay out higher royalties to artists remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

Why? Spotify is pretty terrible when you compare it to other services and for the amount of money you pay the managers in charge at spotify are seriously stupid...

Why? Spotify is pretty terrible when you compare it to other services and for the amount of money you pay the managers in charge at spotify are seriously stupid...

£10 for unlimited music, and it rarely suffers downtime/ slowdowns, much better than Itunes IMO. Does this article not show that artists at least get some money for there effort, I mean if there was no Spotify I would just pirate the music, thank you spotify.

To what other services are you comparing spotify? "For the amount of money you pay"? Spotify has a free version of their service, which I believe is now even available on portable devices. I happen to have the premium service from spotify, and that runs me $10 US a month. For that I get unlimited streaming @ 320Kbps, unlimited downloaded music that I can play when not connected to the internet (as long as my account is current,) all without ads. It works on my PC, Android phone, Roku box, DVD player, etc. Tell me how this is a bad deal. Like the poster above, if it wasn't for spotify, I would be illegally downloading the music. Perhaps the artists deserve more than they are getting, but in the end, at least they are getting something as opposed to nothing they receive when music is downloaded illegally.

Before Spotify I paid nothing to the music industry. Now they get $120 a year from me. There are many people the same way and three artist got to realize it. Sure there are people willing to pay over $1 per song but that is going away as this graph surely illustrates. Taylor is just hurting herself with people like me. She thinks that it would drive me to buy her music on ripoff platforms but no it just makes me not listen to her stuff and no spread the love. I use to like her songs but now she's my there so she no longer exists to me and millions of other Spotify users.

To what other services are you comparing spotify? "For the amount of money you pay"? Spotify has a free version of their service, which I believe is now even available on portable devices. I happen to have the premium service from spotify, and that runs me $10 US a month. For that I get unlimited streaming @ 320Kbps, unlimited downloaded music that I can play when not connected to the internet (as long as my account is current,) all without ads. It works on my PC, Android phone, Roku box, DVD player, etc. Tell me how this is a bad deal. Like the poster above, if it wasn't for spotify, I would be illegally downloading the music. Perhaps the artists deserve more than they are getting, but in the end, at least they are getting something as opposed to nothing they receive when music is downloaded illegally.

Unlimited downloads? you crazy bro its only 3333 per device.... or might be lower I forgot well it must be actually... plus with illegally downloading which aka is legal because the law doesn't mean anything thanks to our leaders breaking the law :D

Back