Sprint abandoning T-Mobile takeover bid, replacing longtime CEO Dan Hesse

By Shawn Knight
Aug 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Sprint is reportedly abandoning its plans to acquire rival wireless carrier T-Mobile. The decision came in light of what would no doubt be stiff opposition from regulators according to people familiar with the situation as first reported by The Wall...

Read more
  2. Axiarus

Axiarus TS Addict Posts: 217   +91

Oh thank you sweet Jesus!
  3. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 465   +96

Are you kidding? Without being particularly well informed, this was one of the acquisitions/mergers I was kinda hoping for. ATT and Verizon are bullies even in comparison to T-mobile and sprint. Sprint has always had cheaper plans and better policies and T-mobile seems to actually give a crap about offering reasonably priced services as well. The problem with both of them is coverage. 5 bars LTE at my parent's house with Straight Talk branded ATT service is 0 bars of anything with T-mobile. If I had t-mobile I'd never go visit them. And among my social circle, sprint has fairly bad coverage as well.

But I guess I had reservations, maybe better called uncertainties. First off, they still compete in major markets. Its not like it would be efficient combining 2 networks. The larger LTE network that I presume is t-mobile(because sprint put its money into wimax initially right?) probably completely overlaps all of sprint's LTE area. 3g services are incompatible(GSM vs CDMA) so I doubt there would be any noticeable improvement in a short time. The other thing is, even though I don't hate Sprint, from a consumer view I wish it was T-mobile acquiring Sprint and not the other way around.
  4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

My sentiments as well.

A strong 3rd place beats out two lower ranking also ran's in the business. If it's about the consumer's best interest, this merger should have gone through. The Government is still a big bunch of expensive suits, not much else. It would have been good to see T-Mobile directed by an American company.
  5. Sprint is Japanese, Bro.
  6. Frank Barnett

Frank Barnett TS Rookie Posts: 61   +6

7. mojorisin23

mojorisin23 TS Booster Posts: 109   +13

8. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

Hate Sprint. Another thank God here.
  9. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 465   +96

Care to elaborate? I mean, if you hate them enough to make a post about how you hate them, then why not go the extra step and actually make an argument as to why other people should hate Sprint too? A baseless conjecture is truly a waste of space.
  10. [​IMG] mojorisin23 said:

Sprint is Japanese, Bro.

11. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

Sprint does not allow using an unlocked phone. I feel they will buy T-Mobile and stop the practice of allowing unlocked phones. I had Sprint for years. I moved to a state that is under served by Sprint cell towers. I tried my best to resolve the issue. I am on call for a tech company and needed a phone. I tried to get out my contract. I explained I could not receive any phone calls while at home. No one at Sprint cared. My company provided a phone while I finished my year contract. I bought a home phone. Using it for personal calls while at home. I put the cell phone in a drawer and waited until I could tell them to go away. I have T-Mobile ever since and never looked back. My bill is a third of the price. I hate Sprint.
  12. Sprint is Japanese, Bro.

Soft bank-Japan look it up