TechSpot

Sprint buys controlling stake in Clearwire following Softbank deal

By Shawn Knight
Oct 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Sprint has reached an agreement with Craig McCaw's holding company to purchase roughly 31 million Clearwire Class A Common shares and 2.7 million Class B Common shares. It's a significant deal as it will give the wireless carrier controlling ownership...

Read more
  2. Gareis

Gareis TechSpot Member Posts: 73   +14

Big moves, I don't know how excited I am about Asia controlling yet another large company located in the us...
  3. ShadowDeath

ShadowDeath Newcomer, in training Posts: 51

Where was this decision two years ago when I was stuck in a Shitwire contract? >.>
  4. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

I think your problem could be area related. I am in LA and have been happy with Clear Wire service, much happier back when I only had one choice with ATT DSL. the whole broadband, and wireless industry is so monopolized, we need more competition.
  5. howzz1854

This should be an interesting move, as Wimax and LTE are both competing standards, it'll be interesting to see which one wins in the end. at the moment LTE seems to have the upper hand, but if Softbank really does acquire Sprint and mass expand WiMax, we may just see the trend reverse.

VHS VS Beta all over again.
  6. ShadowDeath

ShadowDeath Newcomer, in training Posts: 51

The problem I had was back when DirecTV partnered up with them for internet service. Us and everyone else in this area jumped on that. Turns out it wasn't a good idea. I had full bars on the modem and it had shown a 4G signal but I never went over 3G speeds. The only time the signal bumped higher is if I hung the modem out the front door which wasn't acceptable. Later on I had major connection issues and came to realize I was only getting dialup speeds. When I called tech support I got the run around. So one day I decided to do some googling and I found that they have their own fan club hate site... "Clearwiresucks" Just about every problem I had was listed in there somewhere.
  7. howzz1854

that really sucks.. I think I would be pissed too in that situation.

I am not sure where you live, but in the greater Los Angeles area, my connection has always been full bars, although during heavy traffic the connection would drop down to 3Mbps, but I would say it always average 3~6Mbps, and at late nights and mornings I get consistant 8Mbps with spikes up to 10Mbps. but I can see how it can be extremely frustrating in your situation. in fact, my experience with ATT DSL was exactly like that. they tricked me into paying more for lesser speed when I only asked them to add a phone line, but instead they downgraded my connection speed from 6Mbps to 3Mbps and charged me more. that's when I said enough with them and canceled the service.
  8. Zecias

Zecias TechSpot Booster Posts: 202

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...illion-of-his-own-cash-and-still-stayed-rich/

Softbank CEO Masayoshi Son injected some competition into a market that was largely controlled by NTT(nippon telegraph and telephone). Competition is good for the consumers because it usually means that we get lower prices. He kept yahoo relevant in japan whereas yahoo has its importance in most other countries.
  9. Gareis

Gareis TechSpot Member Posts: 73   +14

Good to know, thanks for the read.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.