Sprint can enforce bandwidth limits

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

ComputerWorld article comments:
ComputerWorld/
September 30, 2008 (IDG News Service) Sprint Nextel Corp. has promised an "open Internet business model" without restrictions on services and customer choice for its new Xohm WiMax service, which the company rolled out in Baltimore yesterday. But its policy on acceptable use and network management says that the company may limit bandwidth for some applications, including file sharing.

However, the acceptable use and network management policy for the Xohm service states: "To ensure a high-quality experience for its entire subscriber base, Xohm may use various tools and techniques designed to limit the bandwidth available for certain bandwidth-intensive applications or protocols, such as file sharing."

Nonetheless, the terms of service laid out in the acceptable use policy do suggest that there will be some restrictions on use of the Xohm service, contended Free Press, an advocacy group that supports Net neutrality rules for broadband services providers.

For instance, the terms of service that Verizon Wireless has set for its EVDO data service restrict its use to Internet browsing, e-mail and intranet access. Verizon Wireless prohibits customers from using EVDO for uploading or downloading movies, music and games, among other things.
/ComputerWorld

EVDO? Did you know about this? I didn't!
(see What Is EVDO for details )

Yes. Have been a Verizon customer a long while (in spite of what they do - see below) EVDO was released a year or so back. Don't recall exactly

And Verizon has a history of limiting service functionality in a number of different areas usually as a means to charge extra for what you'd otherwise get for free given the technology. One example: they use their own firmware on bluetooth phones which block using some bluetooth profiles. Someone is always excited about all they can do with their bt phone and all the accessories they buy and then learn some functions aren' supported by phone (simply cause it's turned off, not that the phone can't support it)

Just prior to EVDO, they weren't charging me anything for bandwidth on (what was then) their high speed net (not an oversight either, my plan simply charged my data calls same as voice calls) I also used my bluetooth phone to provide me an untethered connection to my computer. Handy when:
- Need a wireless modem and i got one in my pocket with me should i need it
- For sending text messages from home, would walk over to computer, the phone in my pocket connects to the pc as i approach it. Then i just type out a text and walk away

With EVDO
- no longer grandfathering any old rate plans (even tho they could protect against misuse with a low aggregated i data limit)
- For some reason (don't recall why) they don't want untethered phone/computer connections either (tho i still am careful when buying new phones, etc. i get to still keep mine)
- If you buy their mobile office tools out TODAY it too has had alot of functionality removed from the tools they USED to sell

WHAT A PAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back