TechSpot

Sprint introduces Wi-Fi calling, texting to improve service coverage

By Shawn Knight
Feb 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Sprint on Friday announced a new Wi-Fi calling and messaging service that the carrier claims will improve overall network coverage. The service, which allows subscribers to make voice calls as well as send and receive text messages when not in...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,065   +919

This is very interesting. Very excited to see how this works out.

3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 964   +49

I need this right now. I need this right now. I need this right now. I need this right now.

No seriously, I've been using a Sprint Airave device that "extends" my service range using GPS and my internal network at home... but this effectively does the same thing via software, and will likely be much more reliable than the Airave, and it means one less thing physically plugged into my network.

I can't wait for this to land on my HTC One.

4. Interceptions over wireless connections possibly?

5. So Sprint is doing what Republic Wireless spent the last few years working out how to do on Sprint's network? How is this news if others do it using the Sprint network already?

6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,716   +89

T-Mobile does this since 2011. Wasn't the great although I can' use T-Mobile in rural areas is the worst part of the service. Only Verizon and AT&T first and second tier communication service works here. But my understanding they all share the same cellular tower network that stands so tall.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.