Sprint mulling LTE adoption, T-Mobile merger

By Matthew
Jul 13, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speaking with the Financial Times, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse has expressed interest in adopting LTE technology in the near future, which could lead to a merger with T-Mobile USA. The operators reportedly considered combining forces in 2008, but ultimately determined that their technology roadpaths weren't compatible: Sprint was focused on WiMAX while T-Mobile was eyeing LTE.

Read the whole story
  2. cardriverx

cardriverx Newcomer, in training Posts: 84

This would be VERY intresting... I like (especially because im a sprint user)
  3. snakeye2669

snakeye2669 Newcomer, in training

Sound good for me too. I just got out of Tmobile to Sprint, because of sprint 4G Wimax and the HTC Evo with Android. So maybe in the near future the HTC EVO can access Wimax and LTE 4G. Sweet combo when it goes live and even more future proof. I made the right choose in phone carrier.
  4. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 486   +10

This would be cool. We need more things to happen in the market to shake out the stagnation in the services. These telecomes are not developing new services with all the technology and the software... they are not leveraging the phones that they flog with exclusivity. AT&T and the iPhone are the closest to new services like the visual voice mall and the ability to change to an alternate voice mail greeting without erasing the original.

Sprint having WiMax and LTE would give them a great deal of flex and they might be big enough to get chip makers to make dual tech chips so the phones can do both. The future could be brighter if they combine.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.