TechSpot

Sprint to make bid for T-Mobile as early as June

By Shawn Knight
May 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. T-Mobile's reign as the un-carrier may be coming to an abrupt end. Sources close to the matter have told Bloomberg that Sprint is planning to move forward with plans to acquire the disruptive wireless carrier after meeting with banks last...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,133   +731

It'll probably go something like this... Sprint's network is slow, but huge. T-mobile's is small, but fast. By combining them, we'll have a big, fast network. Hopefully the FCC won't pay attention to the fact that a) this argument doesn't make any sense and b) Sprint phones don't work on T-mo's network and vice versa.

They very well may allow the merger simply because Sprint is doing terribly, while T-mo is still relatively small. I don't see how combining them would create some huge over-bearing provider.

3. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 549   +89

Even better argument: Sprint's not AT&T.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,208   +774

If a deal like this went down in my country the regulators would certainly get in on the act shouting out the cons but the buyout would still go through smoothly because they'd be looking the other way after being after being made an 'offer'.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  5. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Enthusiast Posts: 149   +46

If the FCC had a problem with this buy, it would probably be because of less competition and not how big Sprint would become...and CERTAINLY not because a foreign country is taking over all airwaves/frequencies.

6. People forget the issue isn't like it was with AT&T. AT&T wanted the whole company, Sprint only want the US version of the TMobile. That means Sprint will have nothing to do with Europe TMobile only USA TMobile.
    The FCC don't care if Sprint take over TMobile, what they really care about is that TMobile is very big on the wireless side of things. By Sprint adding TMobiles Wireless to their company, it would make Sprint the biggest wireless carrier and that is what the FCC really care about. There would be very little competition and that could lead to higher prices so Sprint would have to show the benefit to the FCC on how the consumer would not get charged ridiculous amount of money for wireless.

Understand I said the biggest wireless carriers not cell phones. Verizon and AT&T will still be bigger companies at 100+ million and 80+ millions users. Sprint and TMobile together will combine for around 50 million users.

7. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

I will drop T-Mobile so fast. Sprint sucks. I hate. Hate everything about them. They will never see another dime from me.

8. HellcatM

HellcatM TS Rookie Posts: 33

9. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 357   +57

Where will you go? AT&T or Verizon? There really isn't much better and even combined T-Sprint won't be as bad as the other 2.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.