Spsr.exe What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Bone

I found this file running on my computer so I stopped it.
Then when I tried to search for it I could not find it anywhere!

Does anyone know what this does?

85675438RKcUwL

Attachments

• what is this_0 copy.jpg
    what is this_0 copy.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 9
What does it say under Location? That could be helpful.

If you can't find it anywhere on the web, it might be a virus, or trojan. People usually try to make them names of things that could be processes, to make you think it is legit.

Here is something I found on this

spsr.exe is the offending application. Before you do anything drastic, use the task manager to kill the spsr.exe process. That should shut it down and remove the skull-and-crossbones icon (if the icon doesn't dissapear try clicking on it and it should then go away).
Once you're sure killing spsr.exe gets rid of it, then you can get rid of it by:

1) use the registry editor to remove references to it from the registry.

2) Make sure it isn't in the "Start-up" folder of your start menu.

3) Search for spsr.exe on your hard drive and delete it. On my machine I found it in C:\WINDOWS.

WARNING: except for item 2, these actions can seriously screw-up your computer if you delete the wrong thing.

DOUBLE WARNING: this is what worked on MY MACHINE. It might not be the right thing for you to do and I haven't tested this on any other machine.

I hope this helps, and it is the solution I was going to suggest to you if I couldn't find anything.

It didn't say where it was located. In the picture I added it doesn't give a location except in the registry. It was starting up in no location. I tried searching for it and cannot find it at all.

It is not running in Task Manager since I disabled it. I don't know if it was running before I disabled it in msconfig startup.

That's the same post poertner_1274 posted above.
thanks for the help!

I could not find it in my registry either! no trace of it anywhere except the msconfig startup menu? Look in the picture I provided

That's wierd. But it's not active so I guess its a good thing?

Anymore info would be great.

Thank you

and another little freeware program that will prevent little suprises like this from starting and running on your computer is WinPatrol it uses very little resources and starts up with windows if ANY new process tries to start it alerts you with a pop up and asks you if you want the process to run or if you want to disable it. it also provides you info on what any running process is.

http://www.winpatrol.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back