TechSpot

Spyware in format factory 1.80?

By Elliah
Apr 5, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i just installed the latest version of format factory and mcafee keeps telling me there is Adaware BD-Search found. Is it a false positive or what?

2. Char_X

Char_X TS Rookie Posts: 209

This is a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) detection. It is not a virus or trojan. PUPs are any piece of software which a reasonably security-or privacy-minded computer user may want to be informed of.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_133287.htm

3. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

Considering that FormatFactory is a widely used tool, recommended by experts without reservations, if you got it from its official site and not from a dodgy source, it is highly unlikely that it contains any malware. Furthermore, Softpedia carries for it its usual certification of “No spyware, no adware, no viruses”.

Nevertheless, for your sake, I downloaded the zipped installer and scanned it with 3 leading anti-spyware tools, without anything found. However, I have not installed it.

Consequently, if you are sure about the tool’s source, you can report the matter to McAfee and if it’s a false positive, they should put it right in a following AV update.

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

wrong forum. viri questions are addressed in the security forum

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.