Squadron 42, Star Citizen's single-player element featuring a famous cast, enters final...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Remember Squadron 42? The single-player element of Star Citizen showed off an all-star trailer back in 2018, but we're still waiting to see the likes of Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, and Liam Cunningham in a space opera that brings to mind the FMV glory days of Wing Commander. However, creator Chris Roberts says that the game is feature-ready and has now entered its polish phase.

Following its big trailer reveal five years ago, developer Cloud Imperium Games (CIG) announced that Squadron 42 was scheduled to launch in the summer of 2020, but, as we know, that never happened. Later that year, Roberts said the game would be "done when it's done."

Jump forward to January 2022 when Roberts confirmed that Squadron 42 was still one or two years away.

As reported by PC Gamer, we finally saw some new Squadron 42 footage at the recent two-day CitizenCon event. "We are excited to announce that Squadron 42 is now feature-complete!" said CIG. "As we move into the polishing phase, we're fully focused on optimizing and fine-tuning all aspects of the gameplay experience to deliver an unprecedented cinematic adventure. To celebrate this milestone, we have gathered our core development leadership from around the globe to share what this means."

In addition to the aforementioned actors, Squadron 42 also features John Rhys-Davies (Lord of the Rings' Gimli), Kingsman's Mark Strong (who also voiced Captain Titus in Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine), Secret Invasion's Ben Mendelsohn, and the King of the geeks himself, Henry Cavill. The actors finished their performance capture for the game way back in 2015, so they've been waiting a long time to see the final product.

The 26.5-minute video shows off several elements of Squadron 42, including cut-scenes with some of the aforementioned Hollywood stars. It's not all space-based, either. There's a section in a boat traveling down a river that looks pretty impressive. The video also reveals on-foot FPS gunplay and even environmental puzzles involving the use of a gravity tool that can move and lift objects. It's hard to avoid Half-Life 2 comparisons.

"This is the final phase of gameplay iteration before we fully transition into optimization and stability on the road to release," said Richard Tyrer, Squadron 42's senior game director.

Roberts was behind the brilliant (for the time) Wing Commander series. The later games featured Squadron 42 stars Hamill and Rhys-Davies in cutscenes, along with other actors such as Malcolm McDowell.

The big question now is when will Squadron 42 be finished, and will it have been worth the very long wait? Roberts said those eager to play the game will be the first to know when the release date is locked in, "and we want to make sure that Squadron 42 delivers on the promise of being this generation's Wing Commander."

In August, MMO Star Citizen's crowdfunding budget reached an astounding $600 million. Of that amount, CIG raised $100 million since September 2022, indicating another extremely successful year. But there's still no end in sight to the more than decade-long development cycle.

Permalink to story.

Ah here we go, the comment section, just give it a minute, they'll be here shortly, to remind us all that it's a "scam"...
I mean, how could anyone believe that anything in the video is genuine? Obviously they're faking all of that in-game footage to keep up the ruse and run away with people's money. You'd have to be ignorant or blind to think otherwise!
/s

That's nice to hear for me. At this point I'm only interested in the SP side of the game, assuming they can deliver.
It certainly looks pretty enough (and the story sounds interesting enough so far). Let's hope they don't rush it even a little bit because of all the cynics...

Ah here we go, the comment section, just give it a minute, they'll be here shortly, to remind us all that it's a "scam"...
As you know, I have an investment in the game, and I looked forward to this announcement. What you may not know is that I "invested" way back when about a year or two after the game was first announced - when it was still a "kickstarter" campaign.

However, I remain skeptical. We'll see just how long it takes for them to apply the polish and actually release the game.

Reminds me of wait for Duke Nukem forever and Zero Punctuations epic fake review (
).
But Duke Nukem had nowhere near the following of Wing Commander, and probably not even anywhere near the following that Strike Commander had.

But isn't it? Over $600 million and they will want more.
Oh my bad, I forgot Chris Roberts came round my house and forced me to pay him more money...
That's nice to hear for me. At this point I'm only interested in the SP side of the game, assuming they can deliver.
It certainly looks pretty enough (and the story sounds interesting enough so far). Let's hope they don't rush it even a little bit because of all the cynics...
Honestly, I wasn't that interested in SQ42, I guess because they keep it so quiet I'm just more focused on SC. This weekend has changed my mind though, I'm actually hyped for SQ42.
However, I remain skeptical. We'll see just how long it takes for them to apply the polish and actually release the game.
It looks pretty polished from everything they showed off, I get they obviously won't show us the unpolished bits but overall, they showed a lot of different levels, environments, cut scenes and they all looked pretty polished to me.

The reputation of CIG would get a big boost by actually releasing something next year, especially if what they release is actually really good.

Also explains why they took down Squadron42 from sale earlier this year and why you still can't buy it, I assume this is the start of the hype train and sometime next year, marketing will go nuts and they'll bring it back for a higher price.

Oh my bad, I forgot Chris Roberts came round my house and forced me to pay him more money...
Wow! Chris Roberts came to your house? 🤣😉
Honestly, I wasn't that interested in SQ42, I guess because they keep it so quiet I'm just more focused on SC. This weekend has changed my mind though, I'm actually hyped for SQ42.

It looks pretty polished from everything they showed off, I get they obviously won't show us the unpolished bits but overall, they showed a lot of different levels, environments, cut scenes and they all looked pretty polished to me.
I'll have to check out the video. Its got a lot of people pumped. I joined ADI early on - but have not done anything with them - and they are psyched. It's just that I've been "in" on the development for so long that I prefer to keep my expectations low. I really don't have a "significant" amount of money invested in the game.
The reputation of CIG would get a big boost by actually releasing something next year, especially if what they release is actually really good.
I absolutely agree. It would be great if CIG finally came through and it would silence the "scam" crowd somewhat. Maybe, just maybe, CIG is getting on the ball. Being a person who makes a living as a software developer, I highly doubt it will be bug-free, but Hey, you never know. I hope it does come to fruition, though, in a "reasonable" amount of time - rather than drags on for some unbeknownst time.
Also explains why they took down Squadron42 from sale earlier this year and why you still can't buy it, I assume this is the start of the hype train and sometime next year, marketing will go nuts and they'll bring it back for a higher price.
I guess I'm a lucky investor. I got in when a pledge guaranteed access to both SC and SQ42. It was much later after I invested that they split off SC and SQ42 into to separate pledge packages.

However, IMO, it would be nuts, after all the bad publicity, that they would then release it and increase the price. People have done dumb things, but, IMO, this would really be dumb - especially with the level of "investment" they already have in the overall project.

Wow! Chris Roberts came to your house? 🤣😉
Really nice chap actually, even with a gun pressed against my face, and Todd Papy tightening my restraints, he was polite in asking for more money.
It's just that I've been "in" on the development for so long that I prefer to keep my expectations low. I really don't have a "significant" amount of money invested in the game.
I guess I'm a lucky investor. I got in when a pledge guaranteed access to both SC and SQ42. It was much later after I invested that they split off SC and SQ42 into to separate pledge packages.
Oh I've only been a backer since 2018, got some friends in the following year but we all just have the normal starter packages and nothing else, interestingly, we all seem to also have a copy of SQ42, so I'm unsure when they split it.
I absolutely agree. It would be great if CIG finally came through and it would silence the "scam" crowd somewhat. Maybe, just maybe, CIG is getting on the ball. Being a person who makes a living as a software developer, I highly doubt it will be bug-free, but Hey, you never know. I hope it does come to fruition, though, in a "reasonable" amount of time - rather than drags on for some unbeknownst time.
The "Scam" crowd are already a funny bunch, they'll die on that hill.
CIG have over a thousand employee's and they've just announced SQ42 is feature complete and going through polishing, I sincerely hope it makes it out the door in the next 12 months.

I'd place good money it releases in a better state than recent big game devs have been capable of, I'd happily wager £100 to anyone here that SQ42 has less bugs than Cyberpunk, BF2042, GTA Trilogy and TLoU on PC.
However, IMO, it would be nuts, after all the bad publicity, that they would then release it and increase the price. People have done dumb things, but, IMO, this would really be dumb - especially with the level of "investment" they already have in the overall project.
Then why take it down? That's the thing isn't it? If you're keeping the price the same, I bet they would have made some SQ42 sales over the last 48 hours as more people see the trailer, but you cannot buy it.

I can't think of any reason why they took it off sale other than to re-introduce at a "different" (higher) price point, closer to the marketing super hype train.

Then why take it down? That's the thing isn't it? If you're keeping the price the same, I bet they would have made some SQ42 sales over the last 48 hours as more people see the trailer, but you cannot buy it.

I can't think of any reason why they took it off sale other than to re-introduce at a "different" (higher) price point, closer to the marketing super hype train.
I can see that. People have had a looooong chance to get it at the "reduced" price.

They will probably bring it out as a AAA singleplayer experience with a AAA price...

Really nice chap actually, even with a gun pressed against my face, and Todd Papy tightening my restraints, he was polite in asking for more money.
:D
Oh I've only been a backer since 2018, got some friends in the following year but we all just have the normal starter packages and nothing else, interestingly, we all seem to also have a copy of SQ42, so I'm unsure when they split it.
I'm not sure when they split, however, I distinctly remember that they did.
The "Scam" crowd are already a funny bunch, they'll die on that hill.
CIG have over a thousand employee's and they've just announced SQ42 is feature complete and going through polishing, I sincerely hope it makes it out the door in the next 12 months.

I'd place good money it releases in a better state than recent big game devs have been capable of, I'd happily wager £100 to anyone here that SQ42 has less bugs than Cyberpunk, BF2042, GTA Trilogy and TLoU on PC.
And part of that quality would be the result of not listening to the naysayers and taking their time to get it as good as they possibly could. Those shouting "scam" just don't get that part.
Good question. Perhaps it was because it was out of alpha or beta. The starter packs promised Alpha/Beta access, so since it's beyond that, they could not realistically offer that alpha/beta access anymore.
I guess we will just have to wait and see what the release pricing is - not that it will make much difference to us since we already have the game.

And part of that quality would be the result of not listening to the naysayers and taking their time to get it as good as they possibly could. Those shouting "scam" just don't get that part.
Out of all those shouting "scam" (@Theinsanegamer as an example) I wonder how many have bought a game from EA, or Ubisoft, or Activision, or even Microsoft in the last 10 years.

Because... And maybe I'm seeing things from the wrong perspective here, but Activision has re-released CoD every year, Blizzard has practically become a scam artist, Ubisoft can only make Assassins creed over and over again, Does EA even need an introduction? And the downfall of Halo? We gunna talk about the milking of GTA 5 from Rockstar?

All these guys calling Chris Roberts and his company CIG a "scam" really need to look around a bit more at the rest of the industry.

Do they publish system requirements for running the (nearly completed) game? If they don't, it's most likely scam. Even if they do....Take it with a ton of salt. Past experience of CIG's announcements demand it.

Out of all those shouting "scam" (@Theinsanegamer as an example) I wonder how many have bought a game from EA, or Ubisoft, or Activision, or even Microsoft in the last 10 years.

Because... And maybe I'm seeing things from the wrong perspective here, but Activision has re-released CoD every year, Blizzard has practically become a scam artist, Ubisoft can only make Assassins creed over and over again, Does EA even need an introduction? And the downfall of Halo? We gunna talk about the milking of GTA 5 from Rockstar?

All these guys calling Chris Roberts and his company CIG a "scam" really need to look around a bit more at the rest of the industry.
Just because others make bad games or scams doesn't mean we should accept SC as anything but a scam.

Just because others make bad games or scams doesn't mean we should accept SC as anything but a scam.
That's not what I was saying though was it? I was pointing out, the people constantly calling SC a "scam", probably bought into "scams" from literally every other developer out there.

The gaming industry as a whole has gone pretty down hill in the last 10 years.

Don't get me wrong, if SC or SQ42 don't release within 20 years of them existing, sure, I'd qualify that as a Scam by that point.

Why 20 years you ask? Well the first glimpse of Cyberpunk we got in 2013, Todd claims they've been working on Starfield "for 25 years" and WoW has been continuously updated for nearly 20 years.

CIG started with absolutely no studio at all, nothing, while the rest of the mentioned developers had established studios and had released many games before.
So I'd say 20 years to start from complete scratch and potentially release a game never done before, seems like a fair amount of time.

"Star Citizen" is still a thing? Who is throwing their money way at this. You can't help but wonder if any whom have are sold old now, or long since passed on, at this rate!

Back