Square Enix appeals to westeners

Ekildog

We are seeing more and more games from Square Enix that clearly are attempts to appeal to western audiences. It seems they have been struggling to gain a foot hold in western markets with several attempts ending in running successful game series in to the ground such as Kane and Lynch and Just Cause. Their acquisition of Obsidian entertainment seems to create an axis of evil as now Obsidian is close to wrapping up its work on Fallout: New Vegas. Fallout three was a monstrous hit coming from Bethesda but after Alpha Protocol I fear the worse. Am I the only one seeing this trend? Or am I wrong?

It's not just you.

Front Mission: Evolved is crap and while I was expecting the story to be crap, but I wasn't expecting multiplayer to be as broken as it is. I'm staying well away from anything Squeenix gets their little Japanese hands on from now on until they decide to get their heads out of their asses and start making decent games again.

Well, also, in general 2010 has been a crappy year for PC games. Probably because of Square Enix. hahaha

I'm not surprised to hear about multiplayer being broken - after almost a decade of experience in the MMO industry, somehow SE still doesn't have a grasp on how to make a good multiplayer game.

FFXIV is probably the most broken MMO I have ever seen released (Regular release was yesterday), and that's saying a lot in a sea of completely broken MMOs that ultimately failed. If they think that no AH at launch, no Shutdown command (have to wade through many menus to back out of the game), poor mouse and keyboard support, horrible interface lag, no way to sort inventory, no easy way to chat with friends, and a host of other issues is the way to the Westerner's hearts....

Well they might need to rethink their strategies.

I have been an avid fan for two decades - but lately, they have just been churning out some of the worst garbage I have ever seen.

Back