SSD compared to an HDD in terms of speed

thomja

Hello

I have a question regarding the speed of an HDD. How fast would an HDD need to be to match the write speed of a 520mb/s SSD?

Is there anyway for me to look this up somewhere with a converter or something?

Thanks

Not sure I understand the question. The mechanical drive would have to be just as fast 520mb/sec. Unless you mean spin speed, and thats somewhat unrelated.

What you might be questioning is megabits vs megabytes. Megabit should be written as Mb, and Megabyte is MB. But in reality there is a ton of misuse of the correct capitalization and ways to write it. I'm sure I've screwed it up a few times on these boards myself. So in a bit to byte conversion, just divide the bit number by 8.

I think he means the spin speed. Or how many HDD's you'd need in RAID 0.

But regardless, the most impressive specs of an SSD are not the "headline" 500+ MB/s sequential read/write speeds but the super quick random read/writes and low access times (compared to a mechanical HDD).

How fast would an HDD need to be to match the write speed of a 520mb/s SSD?
Yes this is confusing, as the answer is found within the question.

If I am following you correctly, you are asking what the speed ratio is between an SSD that has a speed of 520MB/s and a top-of-line HDD. The ration would be in the neighborhood of 4:1, depending heavily on the SSD and HDD you are comparing and the type of test you are using.

I think he means the spin speed. Or how many HDD's you'd need in RAID 0.

But spin speed doesn't always correlate as faster spin faster read, especially when considering the production date of the drive. There are some 15,000 rpm drives out there, here is something from 5 years ago with drives having 128MB/sec transfer speeds and in the 5-6ms response times (depending on the drive). But those are very much enterprise level drives. I'd guess one of my 'green' 1.5-2TB drives at 5900 rpm are faster than some of the 500 gig drives I've had that were 7200 rpm.

SSD are what are used in Tablet. They tend to degrade in performance in time because they're based on memory chips appose to hardware metal disc. SSD are quicker to access data in I/O sessions. Reads/Writes would be faster than HDD. There are some HDD Hybrid SSD those give you both advantages. HDD can reach into the high TB where the SSD max out 250GB. SSD in laptop makes the desktop and laptop run a bit quicker than SATA II 3.0 or SATA III 6.0. You can give it a shot and see if your happy with using one. Before you go 100% replacement of what you using now.

Back