SSD failure. Any tests I can run?

Trillionsin

Yup, sad to say. Will not show up in the BIOS.

Are there any tests or anything I can do with this SSD? Its an OCZ 120GB.

I'd like to either save it, I dont need the information on it. Or do something creative with it, (i dont know)

Anything Techspot brothers?

Check it with another SATA lead, and on another SATA port. Also try it on another machine to confirm first.

SSD's rarely fall, and from what I've seen, when they do its either firmware related failures, or it's because defraging the disk has caused excessive write operations and worn it out. You should never, ever defrag an SSD, but many people don't realise it.

Might be worth speaking to OCZ, it might be covered by a warranty still, or have a recall for faulty firmware which might sort it.

Hey Leeky,

Thanks for posting. I have tried it in another PC, but it didnt show up in the bios or disk management after bootup. The system did hang for awhile trying to detect it, but after an extra 30 seconds or so, it would time out and continue bootup. I do plan to try it in a third PC, it's worth it as much as these things cost.

I think you are right, however, I had made the mistake of defraging my SSD, this was before I had gained proper knowledge, unfortunately... I think I let it go overnight doing this.

I will definitly try contacting OCZ, thanks for reminding me that there are some manufacturers that will try to make it right, whether OCZ will or not, I have no idea. I had forgotten about checking out their warranty on these.

Thanks Leeky.

Hey dude,

No problem, I should imagine the defrag sessions probably hasn't helped in the slightest I'm afraid to say.

Most SSD's are covered by decent 24-36 month (or more) warranties, so you might get lucky.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Problems seem very high from SSD clients who made the mistake of defragging... That and SSD's that have been dropped more than 13 inches are the only ones we are seeing.

Order Date: 03/14/11
OCZ OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G Vertex 2 Solid State Drive - 120GB, 2.5", SATA II

Limited warranty 36 months for parts and 36 months for labor.
Support URL: http://www.ocztechnology.com
Support Phone Number: 408-733-7600

Am I in luck here or what? Not often when I have a product that I break within the warranty period. lol Does parts and larbor cover this? ...I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I might have time tomorrow morning to call.

Give them a ring, and tell them you want it repaired/replaced under warranty then! :)

You might just get lucky. :)

I think I should say... I've had a very good experience contacting OCZ customer service.

I sent them one email... got three replies within the next day... already have my RMA# and I have the day off tomorrow so I will have time to ship it back. Needless to say, I didnt have to reply to any of these to complete the process.

Maybe they had a recall, and instead decided to tell me.

Comment: Hello Customer,

We will have to replace your drive. Your Trouble Ticket has been approved for RMA processing. I'll be forwarding your information over to our RMA team who will be providing you with your RMA# and shipping instructions within 24 hours. Should you have any questions in regards to your RMA# or replacement information, please contact our RMA Department by opening the link below and adding a comment to your ticket.

Thanks,
exdesk

Back