TechSpot

SSD SRT caching question

By nubki11a
Nov 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello!

I am about to buy my SSD, but I don't know whether I can use the Crucial M4 64GB for caching, next to using it for my complete OS and a game (maybe two, 7 GB average). Because what I would like to do, is put my OS on it (Win7 64-bit) and the game. And then use (a part of) the space left (around 30GB, reserving 27GB for the OS and 3~4GB for the game) for Caching.

Will this work? Or can I only use the Intel SSD Caching on a empty SSD?

P.S. Someone told me I could only use ~20GB or 60GB for SRT Caching, I find this hard to believe, is it true?
    P.P.S. Is it true I ought to put the SRT Caching to 64GB? Or would there actually be a difference if I would put my OS and Call of Duty 4 directly on my SSD?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,336   +622

hmm; Personally I've never seen CACHING to be configurable.

Placing the pagefile.sys entirely on an SSD would seem doable . . .

3. nubki11a

nubki11a TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

With Intel's SRT Technology you can use the SSD to cache your frequently used data via software. I just saw a video on youtube by Linus about SRT and it does look like it that you can only use 18GB or 60GB. Anyone know if the difference between putting a game completely on the SSD and using SRT caching is big?

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,336   +622

Here's a description of SRT which makes a caveat on the usage (scroll to "How to set up ...")

5. nubki11a

nubki11a TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33