Ssytem failed: AMD opteron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey first post on this promising looking site,

My pretty newish pc decided to die on me. Its either the motherboard or the cpu.

mpotherboard = asus sk8v
cpu = AMD 64 FX 53

i can maybe retun the motherboard but last time i retuned something to them it took months ot get the money back after countless phone calls at a nice charge:). The cpu i have lost the box for and am moving house in 2 days so i doubt ill find it or get to retun it.

So i have decided just to replace both:D. im a little confused about AMD opteron and all this and that The fact it says "workstation". I read a post on what workstation is and i dont see why i cant have a opteron on my pc i use at home with XP to play games and work on them.

Or should i get yet another FX 53 err, isnt a 57 coming out? or 55 out:S? but not shops:S?

basicaly i want a v.nice processor and motherboard to replace the old ones to play games and work on with windows xp. I play games (mohaa) and mod it, build models. script, code put it in etc.

new FX or opteron?

whats the latest of both?:S when are new ones comming out? Why sint opteron under the desktop secion also?

if youre getting a new one and want it not to die buy an intel LGA 775 system. but amd has it's fans and i respect that. currently the fx-55 is the best amd processor on the market, but will cost you a bundle. the opteron is for competing with intel's xeon, and is not for you. and as far as mobos go, gigabyte makes acceptable ones (my friend has one and only has minor problems), often sadly superior to others' mobos. for a reliable performance estimate visit tomshardware.com

ok ty for the reply. i dont wish to go with intel for some reason i guess i just dont like the name.hehe

my AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-53 ProcessorAMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-53 Processor and the motherboard is prob whats bad even thoug they are like 2/3 monyhs old from bought brand new.

Is there a new FX 57 out soon? what socket/pin numbers is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back