Stable PSU recommendation for new AMD64 system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, first post here :)

Just yesterday my wonderful AMD Athlon XP 2500 was destroyed by a kamakazi PSU :( The motherboard doesn't look damaged (no scorches like the last one), but it won't boot with my friend's PSU, and random times it'll shut off within two or three seconds of power on. This makes the second system that's been annihilated by a failing power supply after less than a year of use (first was my AMD 1.3GHz, may it rest in piece).

Anyway, this time I'm going to be spending significantly more on my Motherboard and CPU replacement/upgrade than before, and I want to make sure it'll survive for a few years (10+ would be nice!) and be reliable. Here's the system I'll be building:

Main system:
AMD 64-bit processor (haven't decided exactly which model yet)
ASROCK K8 COMBO-Z motherboard (has both both 754 and 939 sockets; expandability is nice)
512MB DDR 3200
256MB DDR 2100 (will this even work with the 64-bit processor?)

Expansion cards;
nVidia Geforce4 Ti-4200 128MB 8xAGP
PCI SCSI controller card
Soundblaster Live! audio card
Old PCI TV-Tuner card (hey, it works...)

Drives:
10,000 RPM SCSI HDD
7,200 RPM Seagate IDE HDD
52x CD-RW
2x DVD-RW

Misc:
A couple case fans probably
If possible, a nice cold cathode tube I have... but not at all necessary.

Ok, now that that's over, here's the question: What power supply should I get that would safely run this system? I'd like it to be relatively inexpensive, too... I'm a college kid tight for cash; it's hard spending $200+ for a new motherboard and CPU as it is. But I'd prefer spending an extra $10 or $20 now, rather than an extra $200 six months down the road.

I'd also like to add that I have a relatively old UPS that I've been using... I just looked at the back of it and it says it's rated only for up to 400W. It's really nice, but if needed I'll ditch it for a simple surge protector.

Thank you!

:edit: I've looked at the links in other posts, and even though they don't talk about 64-bit processors I think I'll need a 400W (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm asking more about which specific PSU to get.

Arigato,
Gamer X

Have a look at this post to get an idea
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic19551.html (Question for the Power Gurus)
as well as other PSU questions further down in this forum.
That Fortron 500W from the above mentioned post is a scorcher.
Most respectable (and expensive) brands are Enermax and Antec.
Your own needs are closer to 500W if you don't want to run the new PSU at max capacity all the time.

Also, have a look here: http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back