Standard VGA display adapter

By jinx57
Aug 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have upgraded to windows vista ultimate from the home basic and when i try to run some programs it says my hardware acceleration is turned off :confused: i had no problem with home basic. also i cannot find out what make of graphics card i have on my laptop :confused: in device manager it just says 'standard VGA graphics adapter'.............................anyone have any ideas????

many thanks

Ashley
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

You didn't mention what the make and model of your laptop is. We need this info to help with this. We are not standing right next to you. We cannot see this laptop.
  3. jinx57

jinx57 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

yes, sorry :) its a Packard Bell Easy Note MH36-V-200

specs:
    Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic (i changed to ultimate)
    Chassis
    Chassis dimensions 300x260x37mm
    Weight 2.6Kg
    Processor
    Model Intel® Celeron® dual-core processor T1600 1.66GHz
    Cache memory 1MB
    Bus Speed 667MHz
    Memory
    Installed memory 1024MB DDR2
    Hard Disk Drive
    HDD size 160GB SATA
    CD-RW / DVD-RW
    Optical drive DVDRW+R9
    Graphics
    Chipset Intel 400M
    Integrated on motherboard or on AGP Slot Integrated
    Screen
    Internal resolution 1280x800
    Monitor size 15.4-inch with Diamondview
    Technology and ratio TFT
    Sound
    Chipset Realtek ALC861
    Integrated on motherboard or on PCI Slot Integrated
    Communication
    Ethernet 10/100 LAN
    WIFI Yes
    Connectors
    USB Port (total/front/rear) 3 x USB 2.0
    VGA Yes
    Audio in Yes
    Microphone IN Yes
    Headphones Yes
    Keyboard and pointing device
    Pointing device Synaptics Touchpad
    Keyboard type 90 Key Qwerty
    Warranty
    Standard warranty 1 Year Standard
  4. Tmagic650

5. jinx57

thanks alot mate, ill let you know if it makes it better. and do you know why my hardware acceleration has been disabled because it was fine before i upgraded.

and i got windows vista black edition :D its a version of ultimate that someone has moddified with preinstalled programs and different themes and stuff :) its really good. ill send you a copy if you want one.
  6. Tmagic650

Thanks Ashley for the offer... I'm running a dual boot Vista Home Premium SP2 and Windows 7 Ultimate RC (Release Candidate) I almost never boot into Vista now. Windows 7 is so much better. It will be available in Retail stores on or after October 22, 2009.

Good luck... If you are successful installing the chipset driver, the graphics adapter should be named something like "Intel 400M graphics driver, not Standard VGA graphics. Have you updated Vista Ultimate to service pack 2? If not, do it ASAP
  7. jinx57

View attachment 51178

thats the error i get, no joy with the drivers :( how i get service pack 2?? is it download from a site or is it included in the automatic updates??
  8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,400   +832

9. jinx57

packardbell.co.uk/products/notebooks/easynote-mh/EasyNote+MH36-V-200/productsheet-PC36Q02101-1521.html

this is mine
  10. jinx57

add www at the front because it wouldnt let me post the link :(
  11. Tmagic650

Go to Programs, Windows Updates... Choose "Check for Updates". SP2 should show up. Keep running Windows Updates, Check for Updates until it says "Your computer is up to date". I know you will have quite a few updates, if Vista SP2 is not installed.

Wasn't the link I posted correct?

12. captaincranky

13. jinx57

right then ill try that out mate. and yes that pic is good :D it was taken by me at the french car show hehe they were all trying and i quote 'trying' to change the wheels on a F1 car lmao it was funny
  14. captaincranky

Yes, your link was quite correct. Sorry for the duplication. The references to "400M" threw me off. Just got up and all that.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.