TechSpot

Standby mode nonfunctional

By nliu1986
Jul 15, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I was recently experiencing a flurry of blue screens, and after an aggressive hardware purge (mobo, ram, cpu, gpu) and an ensuing reformat, I can declare an expensive victory over the bsods.

However, I noticed that now when I go into standby mode, it will shut down instead. Windows will not load properly afterwards since all that will be displayed is a blank screen and I'll have to press the restart button. Someone told me that perhaps my ram isn't getting enough voltage.

On another note, I also noticed that my computer doesn't have the option to hibernate anymore.

Windows 7 64bit
    4 gigs OCZ ram
    Intel Core i5 750
    Radeon 5770
    Gigabyte H55M-UD2H motherboard

2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

After a reinstall, you may need to unset and set again (with a reboot between) some of the power-saving settings - see control panel. There is a check-box for enable hibernation, for instance. Unfortunately, a power or other hardware problem such as HDD failing is also likely.

I have experienced similar problems with standby/hibernation, which were down to not having ANY pagefile.sys on the C: drive as I had long-ago moved it to a second hard drive. That second drive eventually began to, and eventually did, fail completely.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,351   +622

verify you have ALL the onboard chip drivers.

My Toshiba Laptop uses OEM software for the Power controls, including the battery monitor,
    and sometimes I need to toggle the hibernate/standby settings. Although shown visually
    as one, it drops into the other. With the toggle; on-off-on, I get back to hibernate.