Star Trek

dustin_ds3000

i have seen the new Star Trek movie several times and i love it. The movie has got me interested in the old TV series. i have a hard time watching older films just because they look old. I tried to watch the Battlestar Galactica 1978 TV series and i couldn't finish it

i have seen the new Star Trek movie several times and i love it. The movie has got me interested in the old TV series. i have a hard time watching older films just because they look old. I tried to watch the Battlestar Galactica 1978 TV series and i couldn't finish it

Star Trek TOS is available on Blu-Ray. The quality is great but it's still a 1960's TV show.. So when you say they look "old" what do you mean exactly?

Well it certainly isn't the FX you are used to but you must remember that no one, and I mean no one, had done anything like the original series at that time in terms of special effects. Certainly not on TV let alone movies. Remember, this is the mid- to late 60s we're talking about.

The stories and characters of the original Trek is what most remember. The first two years have good to excellent episodes with a few weak ones. The last year Roddenberry didn't really produce it and the production suffered with the three worst episodes of the original to be ever done.

I expect the primitive special effects in early sci-fi like Star trek TOS. In fact I even have most of "Blake's Seven" laying around on VHS, recorded from PBS analog.

Blake's Seven contained the archetypal female villan, "Servilan", (jet black hair, cropped very short) who'll you'll see over and over again in Sci-fi. The "new" character "Anna" (Morena Baccarin) from the "V" remake, you guessed it, that's Servilan....! Oh, a "Servilan" is a British hawk species.

But what really makes me laugh about Ster Trek TOS, is how bad the acting is, from Kirk all the way to the extras! :rolleyes:
My goodness, haven't we gotten spoiled. Remember, George Lucas and ILM changed the FX world, (or perhaps "galaxy") with the original "Star Wars", and that wasn't until 1977.
Keep in mind that "Industrial Light and Magic", was formed to produce this movie.

<snip>But what really makes me laugh about Ster Trek TOS, is how bad the acting is, from Kirk all the way to the extras! :rolleyes:
Both the acting and, often, the writing! LOL

Though don't get me wrong as i still always watched and enjoyed the show..

But I'll add i really liked Bill Shatner (and the rest of the cast) in Boston Legal. His acting and the character he played in Boston Legal were great. And it was the only role he played that didn't have the same personality as all his other roles (from Star Trek to T J Hooker to his commercials)

I was more of a fan of Star Trek: Generations with sir Patrick Stewart. TOS bored me, DS9 was more like a sci/fi soap opera, and I never really saw Enterprise and Voyager. In TOS, the acting was so-so and the effects...well, that's just me being spoiled with today's newer tech (thanks for spoiling us ILM, lol).
But overall, I did enjoy the new movie. It's definitely different in spirit from what Star Trek was back in the day, but that didn't bother me. What bothered me was the FRIGGIN LENS FLARES!!! I don't mind a lens flare here and there, but the flare in this movie was just ridiculous.

I thought the actors all did a GREAT job. Uhura and Sulu were a little boring to me, but the other guys did great. Kirk, Spock, Scotty (MY FAVORITE FROM THE MOVIE!!!!) and Checkov were excellent. I'm looking forward to what happens with the future movies. And I wonder how far they'll go with the franchise...will it stay with Kirk, or will it continue on with Picard? Or will it just crash and burn?

If you do not want bad graphics do not watch the original series ^^. One episode I was watching a few years ago had a robot in it that looked and probably was a card board box with silver paint. Voyager is the only series I will watch. You can try out the older movies, there graphics are probably way better then the tv shows, but do not expect much.

Matrix86 said:
I was more of a fan of Star Trek: Generations with sir Patrick Stewart.

Yeah, Boy what i wouldn't give to afford the entire collection of TNG on DVD.

The movie itself i'de give 7/10...Some of the acting was top draw and the casting (exept Checkov) was almost perfect (special perfect to Dr Mccoy). Down points for me we're all the "flashy" lens flares, over the top camera shake and lightning quick story (in which it destroys the entire timeline of all previous Star Trek films and episodes).

However i'll look foward to the next...

Yeah, Boy what i wouldn't give to afford the entire collection of TNG (Insert "Star Trek the Next Generation")..... on DVD.

Indeed Benny, every issue of any Star Trek series, has special, "we know these geek trekkies will be willing to pay these outrageous prices", pricing attached.

I don't know if you have mail order rental DVD in the UK, but here in the "Colonies", Netflix and Blockbuster have hard copy on most of this stuff.

@Captaincranky

Yeah we do. I think it's actually Netflix and Blockbuster who do the mail order rental here. I've never ordered a film through the post myself (i'de forgot all about it), but now you've brought it up, i might do that at sometime i think.

I'm really sorry to admit that if i did have the cash available, i would probably have bought all the Star Trek dvd's already (like nearly £1000's worth!)..But then i think i'de prefer to be a rich geek with money to burn than a wise porper.

PS: Thanks for the insert.

Enalya said:
Oh I love all Star Trek except for Enterprise...that series I just don't get

I haven't watched any of Star Trek Enterprise yet, but i do understand that it's a prequel to the original series (maybe you didn't get it because you didn't know it's set before the original series?)

As some people have stated here, I to would love to own the complete set of the original Star Trek on DVD. Within recent years I have pony'd up and purchased the complete DVD sets of both Star Trek Deep Space 9 and Star Trek Voyager. For those of you that made the statement about maybe wanting it or inquiring about cost.....I found them the TOS set....

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original-Complete-Seasons/dp/B0002JJBZY

Not bad, $270 for new and $149 for used, not a bad deal!

But to be honest with you, I will probably pony up for the TOS set last, for right now I'm close to being able to afford the purchase of Star Trek Enterprise, the complete set on DVD! This is what I'm after.....

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Enterprise-Scott-Bakula/dp/B000AOEMXM

Next will come Star Trek The Next Generation, the complete DVD set and lastly TOS!

And as far as commenting on TOS, I think Route44 in post # 4 summed it up real good.

Back