Star Wars: Battlefront review

Julio Franco

Staff member

Star Wars: Battlefront wants you to believe you’re in a Star Wars movie, but at heart it’s one of the video-game-iest video games I’ve played in ages. This is the source of both its greatest triumphs and its worst failures.

Star Wars: Battlefront is a large-scale multiplayer shooter loosely set during the original movie trilogy. You can fight as Rebels against Imperial walkers on Hoth. You can try to defeat Rebels on Endor with your fellow Stormtroopers. You can fight as Princess Leia against Boba Fett on Tatooine. It is, for the most part, a multiplayer first-person shooter with the sights and sounds of George Lucas originals. Matches can contain up to 40 players, and at any given moment they might be blasting each other with laser weapons, riding around in land vehicles, or flying classic ships. The result is sheer, unbridled chaos—but it’s wearing a Star Wars Halloween costume.

Read the complete review.

Played the Open Beta. Not bad, but not something I'll be buying anytime soon.

If it played more like #2, then maybe I'd be more excited by it. But as it stands, it's more of an FPS than Battlefront needed to be...

10mins into the beta I hated it. I forced myself to play 30 more minutes and had to uninstall it. The game looks and sounds absolutely incredible - that thermal imploder 10/10, but the good stops there.

10mins into the beta I hated it. I forced myself to play 30 more minutes and had to uninstall it. The game looks and sounds absolutely incredible - that thermal imploder 10/10, but the good stops there.
Pretty much my impressions. There wasn't anything I could pin as necessarily being horribly wrong with it, but I just hated it. I hated how everything became a sniper fest and it really did just feel like a reskinned battlefield. Not that thats a problem, but its not something id play repeatedly.

No way I am spending $60 for half a game then pay $50 for the other half that should of been in there at the start... Say what? *****s...

I can only laugh about this poor and pathetic game. Even the graphics are very poor. Textures and special effects look great but everything else? Is hard to describe since it looks spectacular on screenshots but in motion it does not. The absence of physical objects and holes and debris and wrecks.

In a few months it will have Game Time on Origin like BF4. So look forward for multiple hours of free access for it, which will suck however since the start of all DICE shooters is unlocking a lot of trash.

Perhaps much later get the Premium edition for 25$ thats what I got BF4 a few days ago and I regret it.

DICE is the worst shooter developer bar none.

Battlefront 2 with better graphics and sound would wipe the floor with this game.

Well if you don't love BF4, it's not surprising. It is just a Star Wars skin for the BF engine. My experience with BF4, after they fixed the mountains of bugs, would lead me to think that could be spectacular. 64 player BF4 was by far the best multiplayer game I've played. The team play dynamics, the skill (BF4 had a BIG learning curve when you consider the amount of good players around), the weapons, vehicles to master, every aspect takes hours to master. You can't play the BF4 engine and expect to dominate without lots of practice.

People who look for depth, it isn't and was never the point or aim that DICE was going to achieve.

I give the thermal imploder 11/10 because I managed to get 6 people the first time I used it lol

Was more fun on ps4 as sniping is much harder on pad. Same reason I play bf4 on ps4, I like to stay alive more than 2 seconds at a time. Tried on pc and was not as bad as bf on pc but still liked more on ps4. If it was priced at 60 with all content would buy but as it costs 100 or more for whole experience, not interested before it's on sale.
Not having rented servers is also such an improvement over bf4, almost all servers on bf4 are rented and if you are good or someone has bad day you get kicked. Also rented servers have rules that are supervised at random so it's nice to not use c4 only to get blown by one, if you don't police your server don't make rules for it.

Based on beta would give 6/10, fun game with friends when drunk. Shame it costs too much. Would be higher score if the price was lower, compared to other games at half price this no way justifies it price being same as two of those games. For double price I expect double the game.

So bored with multi-player FPS's - Battlefield, Halo, Titanfall, Call Of Duty, Battefront - they are all the same just paste on some new graphics and maps - when are people going to stop buying these rehashes so developers actually have to do something different?

I want them to make more single player games with missions and an evolving immersive storyline not be tea-bagged by a spotty 13 year old - a new XWing maybe?

Back