Star Wars: The Old Republic launches today in the U.S. and Europe

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of the most anticipated games of the year is launching today as Star Wars: The Old Republic is now available for the PC in North America and Europe. Fans of the series have been looking forward to this day since the title was originally announced by BioWare and LucasArts over three years ago.

The Old Republic is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) based in the Star Wars universe. Rumored to have a development cost of over $135 million, it could be one of the most expensive games ever made. Those who pre-ordered the title online were granted early access in waves based on pre-order date.

The game is set in the Star Wars universe 300 years after the events in Knights of the Old Republic and over 3,500 years before the plots from the films. Players can choose to side with the Galactic Republic or the Sith Empire, each with different classes of characters to choose from. There are eight different classes; four per faction, with the classes of one faction mirroring those of the other, just with different names. Each class also has two different advanced classes to select from as you advance your character through the game.

Furthermore, each class has their own starship and will be accompanied by up to seven companions based on the storyline: five default companions and two secret companions available through other measures. These companions can perform various tasks for the player including crafting, gathering and mission-related acts.

Subscription pricing has been set at $14.99 per month, $41.97 for three months or $77.94 for six months. This places it in the same price-point as WoW, Rift and Eve.

Permalink to story.

Trolls incoming (amg mommy it has poor graphics, mommy its like wow please can i suck on your booby).

Anyhow great game, PvP especially Huttball is really fun with your team of friends. Loading times and FPS optimization needs to be improved and there are many areas they need to work on... GTN is one example...

artix said:
Trolls incoming (amg mommy it has poor graphics, mommy its like wow please can i suck on your booby).

Anyhow great game, PvP especially Huttball is really fun with your team of friends. Loading times and FPS optimization needs to be improved and there are many areas they need to work on... GTN is one example...
The 'trolls' may be incoming, but it appears as though the 'fanboys' are already here...

Personally I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2; never been that keen on the expanded Star Wars mythos, and a much cheaper subscription system!

i was excited about this game until i found out that its subscription based. lame..
im not going to pay monthly for a video game as if it were a drug

I'm tired on the whole Star Wars thing. Also, not a big fan of MMORPG's - I got sucked into a couple of them in the early days and got burned out. BUT...I'm thinking the new Funcom MMORPG "The Secret World" might be worth a look. It's received some very positive previews: http://www.funcom.com/games/tsw

I am playing this at the moment. Being a Star Wars fan helps but its the slickest release so far for an mmo that I have experienced. Its got the sort of storyline tools that made Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect so enjoyable and it looks and feels great to play. It is a theme park mmo as Wow is so don't expect a sandbox experience and time will tell if they can produce endgame content that will make people stick around but right now its a very big well designed game that will give me plenty of fun filled hours over the holidays and hopefully the rest of winter as well.

Like tomsea I'm also tired of this genre. This game looks great but in order for me to buy I would like to know how its different and or better then wow? No I am not a troll I am a consumer with questions. Really I want to know if there is anything that sets the game apart. I like star wars, im not super fan but Id love an excuse to buy this new title.

p.s. the secret world looks interesting but the gameplay is what really kills this genre for me

p.s.s. WHERE FOR OUT THOU DIABLO 3?!?!?!?!

Yah i gave this game a whirl to see if Id like it. Well, I didnt realize that one qualification for mmorpg's was that the graphics have to be horrendous...I though it was a joke at first. But anyway, some people value gameplay much more than graphics but for me it's gotta look good to keep me playin it. I guess that makes me a troll @artix. so be it.

Tanstar said:
ramonsterns said:
I hope whoever bought this has a severe case of chronic buyer's remorse.

Nope. It's awesome! Go troll elsewhere.

Differing Opinions =/= Trolling

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic

Also, how anyone can continue to defend Bioware's antics is beyond me, but then again, anyone willing to play $15 a month for the same old thing with a crappy paint job is beyond everyone to begin with.

EDIT: Here's more trolling for you.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1048183-SWTOR-Tatooine-World-Boss

Bashing a boss to death for 6 minutes straight while nobody moves sure seems awesome. You know what's also awesome? Charging for a game that doesn't have half the promised features at launch and you have pay to wait for them to be released!

Strange, I was playing the other day on my i7 witha gtx460 plugged into a 1080p 42inch plasma and it looked pretty good to me. Was it pushing the absolute boundaries of what my PC can do? Probably not but it still looks really good. I will be playing BF3 and SWTOR for a while and with all the settings maxed I feel I am getting good eye candy for my money. And I like eye candy.

Each to their own anyway, this isn't an mmo players forum.

I was on the pre-release and have already been playing it for a week and personally i'm loving it. I've got a char to lvl 25 so still lots to go (and i'm expecting some decent lvl 50 content, open world pvp etc).
I think the graphics are good enough considering it's an MMO (lets face it you dont want crysis graphics on an MMO as everyones machines would explode).. they're "well rounded". I'm playing with everything maxed out and it looks good and runs smooth more importantly. The instance dungeons ive done so far have been interesting enough, and I really like how you can actually have conversations with all of the NPCs, you can see they've put a lot of time and effort into it. I also find the NPC dialog more interesting than the elder scrolls series.. the NPCs in those games feel so flat and robotic.
In terms of pvp haven't got onto any open world stuff yet but i've been spamming the warzones like crazy with my mates and theyre so much fun (especially if there's a few of you on teamspeak). Also just got my spaceship yesterday which I think is a cool addition. Did a few of the space missions which are basically "on rails" shooters, they provide good arcade game like fun. Looking forward to having a week or two off over xmas to get really stuck in.

I think anyone whos a fan of MMOs and Star Wars should give this a go.. I heard someone describe it as WoW meets Mass Effect with the Star Wars world over the top of it (if that helps visualise at all..).

DanUK said:
I think anyone whos a fan of MMOs and Star Wars should give this a go.. I heard someone describe it as WoW meets Mass Effect with the Star Wars world over the top of it (if that helps visualise at all..).

Well I love WoW, And I really love Mass Effect, Plus I think Star Wars is cool :) I can see myself loving this... Dear Santa Claws, Please can I have a copy of...

Played the beta and found myself bored after a few hours.

This is probably because i have overdosed on wow,Which this game is basicly a reskinned version of.

Does have the " mass effect" style speech choices though, which usually annoy me but i found them to be quite entertaining in this.

Graphics are no worse than wow, and i have no complaints about them.

ranger12 said:
Yah i gave this game a whirl to see if Id like it. Well, I didnt realize that one qualification for mmorpg's was that the graphics have to be horrendous...I though it was a joke at first. But anyway, some people value gameplay much more than graphics but for me it's gotta look good to keep me playin it. I guess that makes me a troll @artix. so be it.

Horrendous? It's not FFXIV, but it's certainly not WoW either. The graphics are a pretty good balance between the two, I think. They are realistic enough that you believe you are on a living, breathing world, without focusing SO MUCH on it that other aspects of the game suffered.

BioWare scored a win here. It's an interesting game, and they have done a lot of things right.

Zilpha said:

Horrendous? It's not FFXIV, but it's certainly not WoW either. The graphics are a pretty good balance between the two, I think. They are realistic enough that you believe you are on a living, breathing world, without focusing SO MUCH on it that other aspects of the game suffered.

BioWare scored a win here. It's an interesting game, and they have done a lot of things right.

I tried reading this out loud with a straight face and failed.

TomSEA said:
I'm tired on the whole Star Wars thing. Also, not a big fan of MMORPG's - I got sucked into a couple of them in the early days and got burned out. BUT...I'm thinking the new Funcom MMORPG "The Secret World" might be worth a look. It's received some very positive previews: http://www.funcom.com/games/tsw

Depends what you really like, played Beta and I tell you what, its appalling game, though it looks decent and character creation isn't bad then amount of content is lacking. But it is in beta, hopefully they will fix all the issues with ping times, mem leaks etc... But as said, its Beta.

ranger12 said:

You would think people on Tech forums would understand how MMOs work. Go develop a MMO with BF3 graphics and come back and cry how it wont run on your i7 build...

Defining graphics. The artstyle is great, wont get outdated fast but they really need to work on armour and character detail / customization. There is still alot of texture qualities they can improve on.

Search on AH and other little nifty features are a must, pvp brackets too. Its a good game but they gotta work hard on it.

This makes me a hardcore fanboy init trolls... Praising a game.

Back