StarCraft 2 Core i5 750 feedback

AldinD2x

Hello Everyone,

About three weeks ago the computer I had at the time went thermo nuclear. The mobo, gpu, and psu all got toasted. I figured it was time to purchase a new computer.

Purpose: A gaming setup that aims to maximize Starcraft 2 performance, on about a $1000 CDN budget. In addition, this will be the computer that I use for my university studies.

Location: I am located in Ottawa, Canada. I am willing to purchase from the following stores: PcCyber.com, CanadaComputers.com, NCIX.com, TirgerDirect.com, and Newegg.ca.

Based on the this review by techspot on starcraft 2. I have decided to put together the following build:

- CPU = Core i5 750 Processor ($199.99)
- CPU Cooler = Zalman CNPS10x Quiet ($59.99)
- MOBO = Asus P7P55D-E LX ($138.99)
- GPU = MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone ($209.99)
- MEMORY: 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600Mhz ($50.99)
- PSU: OCZ GameXStream 850 W ($119.99)
- CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Two ($109.99)
- Hardrive:WD Caviar Black (640 GB, 64 Cache, 7200 RPM) ($59.99)

Total: $949.92

Please comment on the selection of parts, the value of items (buck for bang), and whether you feel the two purposes of the system will be achieved adequately.

Thank you,

Aldin

It looks good and since you are following TechSpot's review of Starcraft 2 you should be fine. From what I have read it is not a high demanding game.

The only thing I can suggest, based on a ton of experience with Asus boards and memory issues by posters here, make sure your GSkill memory is on Asus' recommended memory list for this particular motheroard including model # of the RAM, voltage, and timings.

It looks good and since you are following TechSpot's review of Starcraft 2 you should be fine. From what I have read it is not a high demanding game.

The only thing I can suggest, based on a ton of experience with Asus boards and memory issues by posters here, make sure your GSkill memory is on Asus' recommended memory list for this particular motheroard including model # of the RAM, voltage, and timings.

I might have a problem. They list the G.Skill F3 series but none of the Ripjaws. I picked up the Ram earlier today because it had a great discout while the mobo has remained unpurchased. Any recommendations? Should I return the RAM or pick up a different mobo?

Edit: Although the G.Skill Ripjaws were not listed on ASUS memory list. G.Skill did have it on their qualified motherboard list.

Good research on your part. GSkill makes very good memory.

Let us know how the final build turns out.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think I could get away with a cheaper/smaller cpu cooler?
For example, Noctua NH-U9B SE2, or maybe even a Corsair H50 water cooler?

Update: almost all of my parts are in. I am pretty ecstatic thus far.

What do you guys think of me drilling some holes at the bottom of my Antec 902 case to make it compilable for a top down PSU?

On another note, since this is my first time building a rig what kind of benchmarks/stress tests do
people think I should run?

Back