StarCraft 2 release pushed back until 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

A small bit of disappointment came from Activision today after they confirmed that StarCraft II will not be released on its original schedule. Rather than coming out in the second half of this year, the game has been pushed back to the first half of 2010. Though disappointing to eager fans, the delay is not surprising. Not only had Blizzard put themselves up against a wall with a tight time window for the beta, it also claimed numerous times before that if delays were necessary they would implement them.

Blizzard attributed the delay to needing additional development time for Battle.net, which may be beneficial in the long run for the game's success. The company has a lot riding on StarCraft II, so making sure it is polished and ready for the world is going to be important – particularly so since they hope for all StarCraft fans to be shelling out for three separate boxes to get the complete game.

Permalink to story.

i think they fear that the rising economic depression will ruin their sales. which it probably would. if they think along these lines, starcraft 2 will most likely not be released within the next few years unless they decided to cut prices dramatically. lets see.

It is almost safe to say, that all reasons stated by blizzard officials are not authentic. For a company like blizzard/activision it is impossible to cause delays like that due to balancing work. Not to employ enough people to release the game this year would be totally insane, if there weren`t serious macroeconomic issues coming up.

by the way, what we see in contemporary political decision making regarding the economy is a textbook illustration of a total noobish macro management. the micro though is good. people are kept under control just fine.

I didn't know Activision and Blizzard were together... Hope they don't fumble the ball with SC2.
Anyways, I'm not surprised with the delay Star Craft Ghost was delayed for a long time then canceled. I would be pissed if they did that with sc2 since it is a good possibility.

czplayer said:
I didn't know Activision and Blizzard were together... Hope they don't fumble the ball with SC2.
Anyways, I'm not surprised with the delay Star Craft Ghost was delayed for a long time then canceled. I would be pissed if they did that with sc2 since it is a good possibility.

It's very very unlikely they would cancel Starcraft 2 seeing all the in game footage they have released. SC Ghost didn't get nearly as much exposure, only a few screen shots. It still was unfortunate that it got canceled.

Tekkaraiden said:
It's very very unlikely they would cancel Starcraft 2 seeing all the in game footage they have released. SC Ghost didn't get nearly as much exposure, only a few screen shots.
I remember seeing gameplay footage of SC: Ghost in the trailer that came with Reign of Chaos.

BTW Blizzard, where the **** is Diablo 3?!

Guest said:
It is almost safe to say, that all reasons stated by blizzard officials are not authentic. For a company like blizzard/activision it is impossible to cause delays like that due to balancing work. Not to employ enough people to release the game this year would be totally insane, if there weren`t serious macroeconomic issues coming up.

So much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to start... If SC2 was the ONLY game Blizzard was developing/testing/maintaining, your statements might be partially true. But you might want to take a look out the window at the economic state of the world. For a company to hire on a massive crew, push inflated and ridiculous development costs, and just throw extra people at a product just to get it done and put all their eggs in one basket, that would just be ignorant and negligent. The company has a staff, they are working on their titles, and if they run into problems, they push the release date back to make sure they put out a good product.

I, for one, am glad that Blizzard still holds quality above pushing out unfinished crap to be patched later, simply because someone assigned an arbitrary release date and they had better meet it or face the whiny cry-babies upset by a few months delay. I've played way too many games that were released too early, and lived through insufferable patches just to make the things PLAYABLE, let alone fun. PC games are a cut-throat market with minimal margins on the majority of the titles released, so if you have something like a reputation for quality and depth in your games, you stick with that and let the whiners just do what they do best.

Vrmithrax said:
I've played way too many games that were released too early, and lived through insufferable patches just to make the things PLAYABLE, let alone fun.

I agree that it is smart to push the release date back until the game is finished, but there will always be things overlooked and in need of patching. As long as they don't assume the game is completely finished once it is released and keep up with the patching, I wouldn't mind an earlier release with a few bugs. Hell, I enjoy the crap out of Socom for PS3 and that game has all sorts of major bugs. Still a fun game, though.

WoW makes more money, its obviously their first priority.

stupid thing to say as they are made by completely diffrent teams . It's obvious the game would be delayed as every blizzard game is delayed , they are to be applauded as they put quality before rushing it out to make a quick buck.

It scares me how long the wait for D3 will be , so looking forward to that.

you might want to take a look out the window at the economic state of the world. For a company to hire on a massive crew, push inflated and ridiculous development costs, a

The economy goes straight down the tube. US bankruptcy might be just around the corner. You will see that in a few months. The US doesn't have any means of financing their huge deficit, nobody buys their treasury
bonds. To see the record deficit the US will produce this year visit cbo.gov. China is creating a bubble by stating their (export-dependent) economy is working well again, which is absolutely impossible. This serves the purpose of buying enough time to get rid of toxic us-assets. Both US-bankruptcy and the burst of the China bubble would lead to a global economic collapse. The only thing I'm curious about is what happens first.

As for the development costs, don't forget that workers want to be paid every month.

Starcraft 2 was never officially delayed. Obviously its not coming out this month though. This is just a rumor. Given that Blizzcon is around the corner and almost every games beta has been started after/during blizzcon the best guess would be that the beta will be out by the end of this month and that sc2 will be out 3-4 months after beta testing

I'm a big fan of multiplayer RTS, and seeing as how the last good RTS I can think of was Supreme Commander and the networking was horrid, I'm glad to see Blizzard straightening out the Battle.net issues before release.

My, with such a well thought out and witty rebuttal, I see no alternative to your request.

Really.

Where did you come up with 2012 - 2013 tekkaraiden? With this game being in the works for around 5 years, four characters have been released and you wanna think that its going to be another 3 years? They started releasing data on the game in June of 2008... Why would they have all this information just sitting there for 5 whole years.

If D3 will start with 5 characters as it normally does, it should be released in 2010/11 (I hope its the former). More time than that and D3 will lose all its hype. It just would not make any sense at all to open up the game site and leave it idling. Best than rumors can tell, it should be released around the same time as SC2.

me thinks it was pushed back due to the release of cataclysm.
wow makes a sh!tload more money than starcraft 1 and 2 ever will...monthly.
So, obviously they want to finish the WoW expo to:

A) keep people playing by adding something new
B) lure new customers to the game.

Unfortunately, this means SCII is on the back burner.

Yeah, it's funny because alot of WoW players think that they are the king of gaming.
South Korean Gamers would laugh their *** off if they walked into an American Internet Cafe
Lol.
If you've been to korea, you would notice that SOO MANY of them also spend massive amounts of time playing RPG style time wasters...
On top of that, American Counter-Strike players would lol at Koreans playing Sudden Strike!
But Korean proscene Starcraft is still my favorite though :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back